• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't import txt data into fillable PDF

New Here ,
Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have followed all the directions. I created a test form in Excel and saved it as a TXT (text delimiated file) and I thought I had figured it all out because all I would have to do to import that data into the fillable PDF I made in adobe DC. When I went to import the TXT file data all options for importing were greyed out and I cannot figure out what file type they want me to import or what the issue is. I am including a screenshot of the Excel form I quickly made and the greyed out txt file in Adobe DC. What file type should I be trying to import into Adobe DC to fill out the form with the Excel data?

TOPICS
Create PDFs , Edit and convert PDFs , General troubleshooting , How to , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

Click on the "Options" button and select "Text Files"

It doesn't show it, but the default is FDF

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click on the "Options" button and select "Text Files"

It doesn't show it, but the default is FDF

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Thom, I have the same issue but i am not following your answer? Currently, i have a fillable pdf and a txt file with data from excel. I am using ms 365 with latest versions and current channel updates. When i try to import the txt file to my pdf form i get the pop-up box with data and once i select it to add it to the form, I get the error message as above. Any help on solving this would be amazing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you are selecting the Tab Delimited File with the (.txt) extension? What exactly is the error message displayed?  The first poster wasn't even getting that far, so it was a different issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for responding Thom. The error msg: some data in the text file was not imported successfully. Yes on the .txt extension.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would seem to indicate there were column names in the txt file that don't match field names in the PDF.   There must be a one to one correspondance between the column names in the txt file and the field names on the PDF. Is this true?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made sure the headers matched on both. Didn't work. Then i created a simple pdf fillable form from scratch starting with a table from excel without any security features built in or any erroneous pdf markings and it still didn't work. I am thinking maybe there is a switch that needs to be turned on somewhere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post both the txt file and your test PDF file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, I will post it tomorrow once back in office.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thom, Good Morning. Here are the two files I was using to test my programs and learn this new adobe function. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the text file you use the columns

UNIT PRICE AMOUNT

In the PDF file I can't see any field with this names.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bernd, thanks for looking. On my PDF in the gray header just above the fillable boxes, i have the field names 'UNIT PRICE', 'AMOUNT'. Are you suggesting that these need to be setup as fillable boxes as well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fields under the header have the wrong names.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, i thought they were the same on both docs, but I will see if i can redo the sample docs and try again. Do you know if there is a way to auto fill multiple boxes without having to write a scipt for it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bernd is correct, the fields in your PDF have the wrong names. The text on the PDF page is irrellevant. It has no effect what-so-ever on the field data. The only thing that is important is the name of the form field. This is how Acrobat maps the data from the "data file" into the fields on the PDF. 

Please Read the section on form field names here, and watch the video:

https://www.pdfscripting.com/public/PDF-Form-Scripting.cfm

Next, your form has several rows.  When data is imported, it maps one to one with a specific field on the form. If you want to filll all the rows, then you need to a plan, because there is no feature in Acrobat for just importing text from a data file in to a bunch of rows.

So, the first thing you'll need to do is create a set of hidden form fields to capture the imported data. Then depending on exactly how you want this to work, the data is then transfered it to one or more of the rows. 

If you are the only one filling the form, then I'd write a folder level automation tool to do the form filling. If the users need to be able to import, you'll need a button on the form that runs a script for this purpose. 

You can find more info on data handling here (there are also example tools and scripts for performing almost the exact task you are trying to do, but they are not free):

https://www.pdfscripting.com/public/Form-Data-Handling.cfm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thom, I want to thank you for your time on this. Really appreciate it. I believe you gave me enough info to be able to figure it out at this point. I will try again and thanks for the additional info on auto filling. 

-Bret

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2022 Oct 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been able to export an excell file into a TAB DELIMITED txtfile.

I have also been able to manually import it into a pdf Document.

I need to Create a Form Button to do this Import From a Data.txt file from the Form not in Preview Mode

Once Created the Button I selectes "Import form Data"  id only shows the Acrobat FDF file Option.

I need to import the .txt file.

Any Suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 08, 2022 Oct 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In the file selection dialog change the File Type drop-down to "Text files":

try67_0-1665252112438.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines