Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't open Acrobat DC

New Here ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lately, whenever I try to open a pdf file, the following error appears:

"The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail."

and then open in Acrobat DC reader. However when I need to edit the pdf file, I'm requested to use the DC version, which I can't open.

Help is appreciated.

Jose Neves

TOPICS
Crash or freeze , General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

++Adding to Amal's guidance,

I would uninstall Acrobat Pro DC and Adobe Reader DC altogether first before you update any runtime environment or redistributables for your operating system.

Then use the Acrobat Cleaner and Repair tool to ensure that old traces of the software are completely removed.

Additionally, you may want to run this Micrososft Troubleshooter tool before you reinstall Acrobat and Reader:

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Hi,

Thanks for your help.

Reinstalling Acrobat DC solved my issue.

Regards,

Jose Neves

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jose

Hope you are doing well and sorry for the trouble.  As described, you are unable to open Acrobat DC and getting the error 'The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail.'

What is the version of the Adobe Acrobat DCand the OS you are using? To check the version go to Help > About Acrobat and make sure you have the latest version installed. Go to Help > Check for Updates. Reboot the computer once and restart the application and check if that helps.

If you are a Microsoft Visual C++ user, then do the following steps:

1. Install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 runtime.

2. Reboot the machine

3. Relaunch the application

Hope this information will help

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

++Adding to Amal's guidance,

I would uninstall Acrobat Pro DC and Adobe Reader DC altogether first before you update any runtime environment or redistributables for your operating system.

Then use the Acrobat Cleaner and Repair tool to ensure that old traces of the software are completely removed.

Additionally, you may want to run this Micrososft Troubleshooter tool before you reinstall Acrobat and Reader:

Here's an additional Microsoft guidance to complement this topic:

Last, you didn't specified if you're using other Adobe programs in that computer that were installed via the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop app.

Sometimes users install Adobe Acrobat Pro DC via the desktop app and fail to perform the appropriate updates with the CC desktop app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for your help.

Reinstalling Acrobat DC solved my issue.

Regards,

Jose Neves

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines