Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't open pdf files marked with x in lower left corner

Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2019 Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.

I'm using Adobe Acrobat Reader DC on Windows 10. I have several pdf files in my documents folder that have a small "x" in the lower left corner. I can't open any of these pdf files. No error message given,  just no response when clicking on the document. I need these documents. Can someone help me fix this problem?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Apr 12, 2020 Apr 12, 2020

Found that i had to login to onedrive.com for file to  be opened.  

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you open these files in Acrobat Pro? Or in some other app? How do you know about the X?

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have Acrobat Pro. I have the latest update of Acrobat Reader DC. I can open any pdf files that don't have the x on the Adobe pdf logo that appears next to the document title. I can see the x in the lower left corner. This has just happened in the last few days. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you think this problem may be tied to a Windows Cumulative Update? I noticed that this issue only appears in my Documents folder and the only pdf documents locked are ones that were created before 10/09/2019. I had a Windows update on 10/09/2019 and any pdf documents created after that date can be opened. It also just affects my Documents folder; my Downloads folder isn't affected. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are you talking about? X on the PDF logo? Do you mean the Document Cloud? Screenshot please. And post one of these problem PDFs so we can take a look.

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2022 Apr 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

VERY RUDE BLOKE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2020 Apr 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Were able to figure out the x on the pdf logo?  I am having the same issue with pdf and image files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2020 Apr 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found that i had to login to onedrive.com for file to  be opened.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2020 May 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PDF - X In Left Corner.JPG Still seeking assistance for this issue of not being able to open files with the "x" in the lower left corner of the Adobe symbol attached to the file name.  Opening in One Drive doesn't help me when trying to open it in the Adobe application.  Is there any resolution for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did tried the earlier way of first signing into OneDrive, and then cross mark on all the files disappeared. 

Mainly my all files were on my office dropbox,, so now i dont see an issue after 1st step

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 13, 2020 Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Adlene  - did you ever find a solution for your issue? I'm having the same problem and hoping you got it fixed? Did you have to call CS? I also tried loggin in to OneDrive and the Adobe Cloud...nothing works. I have an "x" on the lower corner of the PDF icon for each document that I'm not able to open. 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2020 Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello MartyGoGo,

My OneDrive was not open.  When I typed OneDrive in the search box of my computer and opened it, a white/gray cloud landed on the taskbar (it can also be in the, what I call overflow of the taskbar.  You access that by clicking on the ^ next to the network symbol or the clock.  I have a Windows laptop.

I clicked on the cloud.  A window came up showing the apps that either needed to by synced or were syncing.  Once all that was done, when I clicked on my file explorer icon, went to folder with pdfs and they had either clouds or sync symbols.  The x's were gone.

If you can't get OneDrive to open, that is a Microsoft support thing.

Hope that helps.

OleLady

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2020 Dec 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am having this issue also and can't fix it. I have Acrobat Pro with Creative Cloud, still doesn't work, I can log in to my One Drive but I did find an easier way. It doesn't always work, but if you right click and go to "open with", select "open with Google Chrome" or Microsoft Edge if you use that. Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2020 Dec 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" /><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 15 (filtered medium)" /><!--<br>/* Font Definitions */<br>@font-face<br> {font-family:"Cambria Math";<br> panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}<br>@font-face<br> {font-family:Calibri;<br> panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}<br>/* Style Definitions */<br>p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal<br> {margin:0in;<br> font-size:11.0pt;<br> font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}<br>a:link, span.MsoHyperlink<br> {mso-style-priority:99;<br> color:blue;<br> text-decoration:underline;}<br>.MsoChpDefault<br> {mso-style-type:export-only;}<br>@page WordSection1<br> {size:8.5in 11.0in;<br> margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}<br>div.WordSection1<br> {page:WordSection1;}<br>-->

A support tech told me the solution is to update and sync all files on OneDrive.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a similar issue witht here being a grex X in the lower left of the file and determined it had something to do with the PDF file being synced to my Dropbox. So I logged onto my Dropbox online and found the file there. Downloaded it to my computer and it opened with no problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2021 Apr 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this happens when your cloud storage solution is not running.  If you have Dropbox for example; if you look in the tray, you will find that your dropbox application is not running, or as some have pointed out here, that their One Drive is not running. Simply launch the cloud storage app and that should resolve the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines