• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

can't print pdf files

New Here ,
Jan 25, 2020 Jan 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when I am trying to print a file that uses a pdf file it creates a url that opens a new file sbout every second.  When I try to close out the file, I am warned I am about to close x number of tabs and as soon as I click the ok tab, it continues to create new tabs.  The url is file:/C:///Users/Von/AppData/Local?Temp/(name of file I'm trying to print).pdf.  I tried to uninstall and reinstall Adobe Acrobat Reader but it did not solvce the problem.  I have had this problem ince 12/20/2019 when I first installed Abobe Acrobat Reader.

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In which version of MS Windows is this happening?

And what is the latest update that was applied to your Acrobat Reader?

And why are you trying to print a pdf using a temporary hidden folder path as a URL?

Is there a sepcific reason why it has to be done like that?

Use windows explorer to, enable view hidden file and copy and paste that path in the search bar.

Locate the PDF file and Cut and  the PDF out of the temp folder and paste it in another location (like the desktop, for example).

Righ-click on the pdf file that was moved to the desktop and select print.

Before printing it with   that method ensure that you don't have it opened in Acrobat Reader or in any other PDF viewing program, or a web browser. 

If the problem happens again delete all the content in that temp folder.

Close every program, sign out of your windows session and sign back in.

If it happens again, open the startup manager and deselect from the boot options "load Startup  items".

In addition, before  you try printing again, open up the  event viewer, and as you try printing this file, identify from the event viewer which processes and tasks change that increase  CPU activity with spikes and exhaust availabel Memory resources.

It would be good to also check in Adobe Reader in Edit--->> Preferences  any settings that has to do with creating URLs automatically (if present), Accessibility options, Security Enhanced (check  for Protected Mode and enable it if it is not enabled, and other sandbox enforcement settings).

You should perform these troubleshooting tasks completely offline.

A good rule of thumb is to boot in Safe Mode and see you're able to print in Safe Mode with no problem. If it prints then it is easier to narrow down what could be wrong.

As a matter of fact, this should be your first troubleshooting approach before you try anuthing else that I've suggested above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Windowa 10.  I uninstalled and reinsttalled Acrobat Reader 24 hours ago.  I am not trying to print from a temporary file.  for example, I print labels in Avery's website.  You choose your label,create your file, save your file, then click on Print it yourself.  It then tells you to download PDF file and when you click on that block, that is when the url starts popping up.  Last night when I managed to stop it from constantly flashing a ne tab so I could copy down the url, when I tried to close firefox, I closed 501 tabs.  The only way I can stop it is to shut down the computer.  Not only have I reinstalled acrobat, but I also uninstalled and reinstalled my printer.  And I also tried to use the furthest back restore point all with no luck.  This problem started when I updated Acrobat reader 12/20/19.  I never had it before.  And now with tax season coming up,  I won't be able to do my tax returns. I also tried to find this file on my computer, but with no luck.   HELP!  I don't know how to do all this stuff you said.  I need a simple fix. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

A quick simple troubleshooting approach is to  first  recognize that you're not using Adobe Acrobat Reader to print to PDF.

You're using Firefox web browser, probably using Adobe Acrobat extension add-on and you are also not using real Avery software installed in your PC.

You actually don't need the Avery software for your labels since you can get the dimensions of the Avery labels yourself and punch them manually in Printing preferences as a preset.

But anyway, first things first.

Update your antivirus definitions.

After the antivirus is updated unplug that computer from the Internet and let your antivirus run offline.

Perform a deep thorough scan of every hard drive and USB drives you may have connected to that computer. And enable the antivirus program to perform  heuristic scans with more thsn one pass or two passes preferably, and set it up to delete any harmful files automatically. 

This process is long so you can go get some rest and check the history of the antivirus results  when you wake up.

After that is done, see steps below:

1. So, first Adobe Reader needs to be  the default PDF handler in windows. 
  2. Do not open the Avery website with Firefox again yet. Use another browser like Chrome. So hook back up to the Internet, download and install Chrome browser, and  see if that behavior occurs with Chrome
  3. If the behavior doesn't replicate with Chrome browser, then you can call it a day. You should uninstall Firefox and download a new updated version to reinstall it. But since you've mentioned that this is a recurring problem I don't know if the Avery web site has third party ad trackers that might've hijacked your Firefox browser. You may need to learn how to harness your browser better if this is the case.
  4. If you want to keep firefox I strongly suggest to uninstall it completely and download a new updated  version to reinstall 
  5. So you can also check in Chrome browser if Avery provides support for an addon extension. If they, do install it and enable in your browser.

NOTE: Ad a rule of thumb, before you attempt any steps above, don't forget to clear all the temporary files folders and cache or recent  folders 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply, however, this problem is not only whenI am trying to print from the Avery website, but it also happened when I tried to print my receipt from AmernIL, which uses a PDF file taht needs to be downloaded and also my banks statements and Turbo Tax tax returns.  I will try to do what you recommend although I'm not sure I understand all of it.  For my Avery files that I have saved in the Avery account, I have 2 files in which I have names, birthdays, anniversaries and deaths of all the members of my family with 84 labels in that file and one for my husband with 63 labels.  I print these out every year for calendars for a total of 38 calendars.  And I prepare taxes for myself & my husband, a sister, 2 brothers, 3 nephew and 2 nieces with a federal and at least one state return.  I can't afford to keep having problems with my PDF files, so I'll try what you sugggest.  ty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome.

If you need further assistance post back and I will gladly help you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2020 Feb 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your suggestions.  I updated my antivirus definitions but I didn't know how to run the deep scan without being connected to the internet, so I went to your suggestion to try to open and print on the Avery website in Chrome,  and I had no problem, so I went in to delete and reinstall Firefox.  I found I had two versions of Firefox ( don't know if this contributed to my problem, but I deleted them both, then reinstalled Firefox.  I then went to Avery and succeeded in printing a file.  I don't know exactly what was the fix for my problem since I did so many different things, but I also have managed to print all my tax forms with no problem.  Thank you again for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 06, 2020 Feb 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're very welcome.

I am happy to read that.  That is great that you were able to troubleshoot your computer.

You could've have two versions one 32bit version (older) and one 64bit version of Firefox(newer). It is possible that the old version  was conflicting with the more recent software that you were trying to use with Firefox.

In the event that this happens again , don't panic. Every browser has an option to restore all settings to its original defaults (which I forgot to mention in my suggestions). But, uninstalling and reinstalling is pretty much  a better approach when you  can't figure out anymore what could be wrong. So welcome to the geek  club!   🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines