Highlighted

Can't Reduce File Size in Adobe Acrobat Pro DC - Program Crashes

New Here ,
Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Adobe Acrobat Pro DC and I used to be able to reduce the file size of the PDF two different ways. One way was to optimize the PDF, the other was just to save as a reduced file size. Both stopped working a few days ago. My Adobe crashes and forces close every time I try either way now. 

I found a setting that said "Always reduce file size when saving if larger than 10MB" so I checked the box and tried a few files; worked awesome. Thought I solved my problem. But a few documents later, I'm right back to square one. When I attempt to save the document, it crashes and forces close. The error message I get just says "Adobe Acrobat has stopped working." The only option is to close the program. 

I've worked with tech support within my company who tried reinstalling and reinstalling the program, checking for updates, etc. Nothing has solved the problem. It is very frustrating because I have to send these documents via email, and there is a 10MB limit on some of the emails I have to send them to. I have a Windows 10 OS. 
Has this been an issue for anyone else? How do I fix this? 

TOPICS
Crash or freeze, General troubleshooting, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Can't Reduce File Size in Adobe Acrobat Pro DC - Program Crashes

New Here ,
Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Adobe Acrobat Pro DC and I used to be able to reduce the file size of the PDF two different ways. One way was to optimize the PDF, the other was just to save as a reduced file size. Both stopped working a few days ago. My Adobe crashes and forces close every time I try either way now. 

I found a setting that said "Always reduce file size when saving if larger than 10MB" so I checked the box and tried a few files; worked awesome. Thought I solved my problem. But a few documents later, I'm right back to square one. When I attempt to save the document, it crashes and forces close. The error message I get just says "Adobe Acrobat has stopped working." The only option is to close the program. 

I've worked with tech support within my company who tried reinstalling and reinstalling the program, checking for updates, etc. Nothing has solved the problem. It is very frustrating because I have to send these documents via email, and there is a 10MB limit on some of the emails I have to send them to. I have a Windows 10 OS. 
Has this been an issue for anyone else? How do I fix this? 

TOPICS
Crash or freeze, General troubleshooting, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 18, 2019 0
LEGEND ,
Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use the Acrobat Cleaner Tool before reinstalling to get rid of anything corrupt from a previous install. 

Have you tried to use the advanced optimization settings to get the best size reduction for the quality you want to maintain?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 18, 2019 0
LEGEND ,
Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 18, 2019 0
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The tech support guy actually used the cleaner tool before reinstalling. We also tried the repair option on the program. Nothing helps. 

If I try to save as an optimized PDF, with advanced settings, it crashes and force closes. I've tried multiple advanced settings with help from others I work with that reduce file sizes on a daily basis. It will not work. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 19, 2019 0
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it crash only when you try to reduce the file size or any other operation as well?

Try printing the PDF to Adobe PDF printer. It flattens the document thereby reducing the size. You can use this as an interim method to reduce file size of PDFs.

Crash logs will be helpful to debug the issue if you still face problems after following Michael's advice above.

Thanks,

Ravi

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 19, 2019 0
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried printing to Adobe PDF like you recommended and it made the file size larger. So that's not a good solution. 

But yes, it only crashes when I attempt to reduce the file size as I stated above. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 19, 2019 0
LEGEND ,
Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now we have to try some other techniques. Crashes are usually driven by driver and/or hardward issues. Try to see if you can turn off any hardware acceleration, espcially for your display.

You can also try to create a new user and see if the software crashes on a new user.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 19, 2019 0
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue has still not been resolved by Adobe Team . Reducing PDF crashes my fully updated PC. 11/04./20

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 04, 2020 0