• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot delete individual pages in Adobe Acrobat X PDF

Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2012 Oct 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So annoying.  When I try to delete individual pages it gives me the error message "one or more pages are in use and cannot be deleted".  I have tried closing the thumbnail page preview pane, selecting the pages and hitting backspace (delete), highlighting and choosing the 'delete page' icon at the top of the toolbar....nothing.  I have seen a lot of threads about this issue that are dated 2011 with no solutions.  Has anyone out there found the solution?

Much appreciated.

Using Adobe Acrobat 10.1.4, Mac OSX 10.7.4

TOPICS
Create PDFs , Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 05, 2012 Nov 05, 2012

After raging about this myself for awhile, I found  Help Menu - Repair Acrobat Installation. It requires a restart. And, it seemed to work. So far, two files, which wouldn't delete a page no matter how I much of a bribe I tried to offer, delete pages as if nothing was ever wrong. If that changes, I'll repost, but for now...

(Win7 64-bit, Acrobat 10.1.4 Pro)

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2013 Jul 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ran into this again tonight. Did anyone ever come up with a solution? On my Mac I'm not seeing the "Repair Acrobat Installation" in the Help menu as described. I had to quit the program and then re-open the doc to delete a page. Really annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2013 Dec 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If there are internal links in the document (contents, index or other shortcuts) it won't let you delete any pages. You'll need to remove all links (even the ones that occur before the page you want to delete), save the document, reopen then try deleting the page(s). Not sure if there's a way to automatically remove all internal links but you can reveal them and individually remove in Tools > Content > Link

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 03, 2013 Dec 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not true. The presence of links has nothing to do with the ability to delete pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2014 May 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this was posted a while ago, but I've come across this issue, too. This is what works for me:

1. What works for me is to close all Adobe programs and files, including the one you are working on.
  2. Close all Adobe processes through the Task Manager (CTL+ALT+DEL).
  3. Reopen your document and delete your pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2021 Feb 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you kel_322. I still use Acrobat X here in 2021 and just encountered the problem.  The "Repair Installation" link required the installation media, which I don't want to hunt for.  But your solution of just killing all the Adobe processes worked great.  I've been using AX for many years now and this is the first time I've had this difficulty.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2014 Oct 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the 15th of Jan 2013 "ijustwanttopost" wrote:

If you actually want to fix this problem in Acrobat X:

1. Go to the Help Menu

2. Select Repair Installation

3. Follow the instructions

4. Get on with your life

This solved the issue for me.  I'm using:

• Windows 7 Professional with Service Pack 1
  • Adobe Acrobat version 10.1.12

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2015 Apr 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is really quite simple once you understand. I am using Mac Acrobat X Pro and after scanning an additional page to a previously loaded  file, the former files remain even if you save as or close the window. The former cannot be deleted. You have to select close from the icon after closing the window. You then have to click the file saved and then delete the appropriate pages and save again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2015 Apr 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With all due respect, Acrobat Pro DC has been a nightmare ever since it was installed on my Mac. To delete pages I have to close the document and shut down Acrobat Pro each time and then reopen. The whole idea of computers is to save time, but at every step it appears that Adobe engineers have added more steps and frustrations to my workflow. Do they ever actually use the products they produce in a real work setting? Of course not. I'm very close to uninstalling Adobe Acrobat DC and finding non-Adobe products for all my work needs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2016 Dec 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What worked for me was to split the document to remove the problematic page. It's a workaround, but it did the trick for me and saved me some time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2017 Mar 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, try this simpler solution.  Close file, shut ofg Acrobat X, but also !!! shut off your browser (maybe you've been using adobe on it ???). Then reopen the file in Acrobat.  Worked for me after fighting with this for months. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2020 Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shutting down Safari did it!!  What a nuisance.  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2021 Mar 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran into this again today in 2021, it was a specific file and it turned out the windows explorer preview pane was causing Adobe to believe the file was in use, started working after turning off preview pane.  Hopefully this helps someone else next year.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2021 May 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right Click on Page you want to delete, Go to Tools, Select Redact. Click on "Remove Hidden Information." Then Delete. This worked for me after getting several error notifications despite trying methods below. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its an Error and exists in DC as well

TWO options to Try

1) Dont delete the page - EXTRACT it and select the Option to Delete on Extraction ( This is my Fav fix 99/100 works)

2) Under Preferences and Documents change PDF/A View mode to NEVER

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2022 Jan 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I closed Acrobat completely and reopened it - was able to delete the page then. (Mac)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 29, 2022 Jan 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, restarting the application or restarting the computer solves a lot of problems in any application. That is, why I trained my support people to ask people systematically to save all work and to restart the computer. 

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2022 Feb 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love how I found this post in 2022. Ten years later, and this still happens. Adobe's software is a trainwreck, and we all pay entirely too much for it. The power of monopoly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2022 Mar 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

10 years later... MacOS 12.

Still happening. 

Drives me crazy =[

Just give up. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines