• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot move or delete a pdf file in Windows 10

New Here ,
Sep 12, 2015 Sep 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have scanned a file to pdf on my Windows 10 PC. Now I cannot rename it or delete it. Whenever I try it says the file is in use. I have gone into Task Manager and closed any running application that has Adobe. This makes no difference and I still cannot move, delete or rename the file. The only way to delete is for me to reboot the PC. However, if I open the file in Acrobat DC the problem returns.

I have been looking around on the forum and found this problem dates back to 2012!!!! REALLY?????

I have now found a workaround to fix the problem but surely Adobe should have sorted a permanent fix for this by now. Not impressed

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What software do you use to delete or rename the files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't use any software. I just tried to delete as normal via Windows Explorer. If you are asking what the fix was I will happily tell you. Let me know

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌Windows Explorer is a software. Use a other file manager.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2021 Mar 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ne seri!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2015 Sep 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The inability to delete a PDF file was also a problem in Windows 8 and continues in Windows 10. The problem is associated with use of the Preview Pane in Windows Explorer. There are 2 workarounds:

1. In Windows Explorer, turn off the Preview Pane.
    (Alt+P, or click"Preview Pane" in the Windows Explorer tool bar.)
  2. If that doesn't work, use SHIFT+DELETE to permanently delete the file. (Caution: You won't be able to un-delete).

This bug only affects PDF files. Other file formats delete without issues in Windows Explorer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2016 Apr 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This fixed my issue: Turn off the preview pane in Windows Explorer.

Thank you evollowitz!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2016 May 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I turned off the Preview Pane. This worked.
Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2017 Apr 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i can't believe this was the problem.. such a dumb thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2023 Jan 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not working. Windows 11

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2023 Apr 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

same here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2016 Jun 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wonderful!! I have been trying to delete since I bought this computer over a year ago.

Close the preview option in file manager.  It is on the view tab. Once that was done deleting happened

FYI I am using windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2016 Jul 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simple solution evollowitz gave is to just hold "shift" + "delete"

Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2018 Nov 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All these methods are not useful, the notice said "The file can not be found."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2018 Dec 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow! So simple. I could not remove or open a .pdf file because admin access was not enough. I had tried so many things, and hours trying to find an answer. Shift + Delete permanently deletes the file, but who gives a darn! I refuse to not have the ability to delete anything on my computer - so thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2019 Sep 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

these steps did nothing. everytime I delete the file it re-appears

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2019 Oct 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to fix this bug in my PC windows 10, Because i want prevent my PDF from deleting.

please tell me how can use this bug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2016 Feb 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So our office has invested the time and effort into a digital archive instead of a paper system.

And we seem to come across this issue when we upgrade.

How does Microsoft and Adobe not realise that previewing files without opening is so important when dealing with so many files, further to this being able to rename a file while viewing the contents in a preview panel or for that matter deleting the file also.

Its fundamental in the way end users work with digital files, how can you not test this to make sure it works.

Our company has upgrade many of its user Adobe Acrobat DC and this problem makes those subscriptions not very attractive as I spend hours looking for a solution to a problem I did not create.

An upgrade is usually an improvement I don't feel like that is the case for this product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2016 Mar 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sad to see that this problem still exists. It seems as though a work-around is necessary.

One thing someone mentioned is to use another software as your File Manager (instead of Windows Explorer). I found one called "FreeCommander" It can be downloaded here:

http://www.fosshub.com/FreeCommander.html

I downloaded and installed it. Seems to be a safe file (Norton didn't scream at me )

Another option is FileAssassin by Malwarebytes. Also safe and easy to use. You can find it here:

https://www.malwarebytes.org/fileassassin/

Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2019 Jul 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File Assassin saved my sanity.  THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FileAssassin did the trick!

Thanks for the recommendation!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2021 Apr 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File assassin worked! Yea!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wonderful...thank u soo much.

only this did the job

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2022 Jun 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!!!  ❤️ ❤️ ❤️ 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2016 Jul 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This only started happening with most recent Windows 10 and Adobe Acrobat updates.

Turning off the preview pane solved it. Man, that was driving me freakin nuts.

Forum support saves the day again!

Thanks folks!   🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines