Highlighted

Check to see if any field is empty

Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a pretty large document that has over 200 text/check boxes. What I want to do is create a button that makes a pop-up warning for any blank fields in the entire document.

Right now the only way I've seen to do this is using javascript using an array of every field and checking them 1 by 1 in a for-loop. I would like to avoid this as the array requires you to type the title of each field so with 200+ fields it becomes quite tedious typing them all in.

Using Acrobat XI Pro, thanks.

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by try67 | Most Valuable Participant

You can use something like this:

var emptyFields = [];

for (var i=0; i<this.numFields; i++) {

var f= this.getField(this.getNthFieldName(i));

if (f.type!="button" && f.required ) {

if ((f.type=="text" && f.value=="") || (f.type=="checkbox" && f.value=="Off")) emptyFields.push(f.name);

}

}

if (emptyFields.length>0) {

app.alert("Error! You must fill in the following fields:\n" + emptyFields.join("\n"));

}

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript, PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Check to see if any field is empty

Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a pretty large document that has over 200 text/check boxes. What I want to do is create a button that makes a pop-up warning for any blank fields in the entire document.

Right now the only way I've seen to do this is using javascript using an array of every field and checking them 1 by 1 in a for-loop. I would like to avoid this as the array requires you to type the title of each field so with 200+ fields it becomes quite tedious typing them all in.

Using Acrobat XI Pro, thanks.

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by try67 | Most Valuable Participant

var emptyFields = [];

if ((f.type=="text" && f.value=="") || (f.type=="checkbox" && f.value=="Off")) emptyFields.push(f.name);

}

}

app.alert("Error! You must fill in the following fields:\n" + emptyFields.join("\n"));

}

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript, PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 01, 2013 0
144 Replies 144
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jun 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't necessarily need an array with the names of the fields, but you do need some way of determining which fields to control...

So do you want to control all of the fields in the file? Or all of the required ones?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 01, 2013 0
Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All required fields, out of the 200+ only about 10 dont need to be filled.

GKaiseril: Thats what Im doing now. I have an array:

var a1 = new Array(getField("box1"), getField("text1"));

for (number of items in a1)

check if empty

popup box if empty

the problem is typing in the array "box1", "text1" since I have over 200 fields to type in

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 01, 2013 0
Jun 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

var emptyFields = [];

}

}

}

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 01, 2013 5
Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot Giliad D! That script worked perfectly.

For anyone else who is trying to implement this heres how:

Create a button

Right click the button and go to properties -> Actions tab

Trigger:Mouse Up

Action: Run JavaScript

-> Add...

Copy and paste Giliad D's code

->ok -> close

Select the fields you want required by right clicking the fields and selecting the "Set as Required Field" option

Save and done!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 01, 2013 2
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the code above works very well on text fields, but doens't work on radio button fields. Is there code that works on radio button fields?

Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 05, 2013 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For radio buttons and check boxes in Acrobat you find the unselected items by testing for a value of "Off". In LiveCycle you need to know the unselected value for each field.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 05, 2013 0
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh wow! this is a perfect script! but it runs only when the button is clicked right? I want it to run when "print" icon is clicked or file is saved with empty fields.

is it possible?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 16, 2013 0
Aug 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can put the script in the "Will Print" document action. But you will not be able to stop the printing so you will need to workout your approach on how to handle that next piece.

Also the script will not detect uncompleted drop down boxes or list boxes.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 16, 2013 0
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how do i do that? before today I did not even know I could add scripts to pdf files wow!

my main problem i posted in other thread is this

"I am a graphic designer and am using Adobe Acrobat X pro to create fillable invitations, labels and such

what I want is that my client cannot print the file without filling "required" field.....

Also , no one can edit it even if they open via acrobat pro

or maybe some way I can protect my images from printing without text?

One more question

How can i make a floating textbox, which increases if text increases and is not fixed size?"

I was led to this thread which sort of solves the problem ,

so umm what does it mean by

"But you will not be able to stop the printing so you will need to workout your approach on how to handle that next piece." ? ?

Can you guide me through?

Thanks so much!

Marie

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 16, 2013 0
Aug 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You appear to be taking this question in new directions.

You might want to start a new thread and not usurp someone else's thread.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 16, 2013 0
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh i was not doing that i did start a new thread here http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1276533?tstart=0

and i was directed to this thread!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 16, 2013 0
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is very helpful. Thank you.

What code would I need to add if I want to display a validation message that says "Form successfully completed". (in addition to the code provided by Gilad D)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 11, 2013 0
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've used your script for verifying that required fields are filled out, and it works great. But I have some fields that are required, but may be hidden based on a user selection (checkbox). Can the script be modified to ignore hidden fields? Thanks!

Gilad D (try67) wrote:

var emptyFields = [];

}

}

}

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 01, 2014 0
Apr 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Change this line:

To this:

if (f.type!="button" && f.required && f.display==display.visible) {

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 01, 2014 1
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 01, 2014 0
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this script! What needs to be added to do the following:

If the above script shows no errors, email: a@b.com.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 11, 2014 0
Enthusiast ,
Sep 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add this to the end of the script:

else this.mailDoc({

cTo: "a@b.com",

});

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 11, 2014 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

its a great script. I have some drop down menus / list boxes that has a default value in that starts with the word "Select" eg Select Cost Code or Select Work Location to prompt the user to click on the arrow to make a selection.

Can the code be changed to accomodate both empty fields and fields with a value in it that starts with the word Select

Also can the code be changed to accomodate the empty or Select fields border /edge or text change color to say red to visually identify which fields require completion?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 14, 2014 0
Enthusiast ,
Sep 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To highlight required fields in red, modify the script in line 6 as follows:

var emptyFields = [];
          if ((f.type=="text" && f.value=="") || (f.type=="checkbox" && f.value=="Off"))

f.strokeColor = color.red;   //Highlights the required fields in red

emptyFields.push(f.name);
    }
}

}

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 21, 2014 1
Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the suggested code, it works well and highlights the borders of empty fields in red nicely.

Is there any way of the code be written show it only highlights empty fields, fields that show a value with the word "Select...." in them and only visible fields?

Regards,

Michael

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 17, 2014 0
Enthusiast ,
Oct 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Things are getting a bit complicated, as this requires multiple "if" statements.

Can you please clearly state which fields you want to be highlighted by the script? Empty fields only? Fields that are required only? Fields with "Select" in them? Text fields only or all fields?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 19, 2014 0
Oct 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not if you use the comparison of the field's value to the field's default value.

// required fields;
var aRequiredFields = new Array("Text1", "Text2",
"Check Box3", "Group1", "List Box5", "Dropdown6");
// messages for non-completed fields;
var aMessage = new Array();
aMessage["Text1"] = "Complete Text1";
aMessage["Text2"] = "Complete Text2";
aMessage["Check Box3"] = "Complete Check Box3";
aMessage["Group1"] = "Complete Radio Button Troup1";
aMessage["List Box5"] = "Complete List Boxt5";
aMessage["Dropdown6"] = "Complete Dropdown6";
// array  of non-compleeted field names;
var aNotCompleted = new Array();
// loop through fields and finding fields whose value si the same as their default value;
for(var i = 0; i < aRequiredFields.length; i++) {
// clear the field fill color;

this.getField(aRequiredFields).fillColor = color.transparent;

if(this.getField(aRequiredFields).value == this.getField(aRequiredFields).defaultValue) {
    // log field name into array;
aNotCompleted.push(aRequiredFields);

// set the field's fill color;

this.getField(aRequiredFields).fillColor = color.red;

} // not completed
} // end loop field names
if(aNotCompleted.length != 0) {
var cMsg = "Complete following " + aNotCompleted.length + " fields:";
for(var i = 0; i < aNotCompleted.length; i++) {
  // load field message into error message
  cMsg += "\r"+ aMessage[aNotCompleted];
  }
app.alert(cMsg, 1, 0);
} else {

// actions to complete when all required fields completed.
app.alert("Conradualtions, all fields completed", 3, 0);
}

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 19, 2014 0
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello, my document appear information "You must fill filed xxxx" but after that message why my document still print ya? Pls help .

Thanks

dewe14

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 18, 2015 0
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to do this by also adding the javascript to a new action on a Print button.

Mouse down>run the javascript

Mouse up>Print

It would still print if you go to "File>Print" but at least it required the fields to be filled in before the print button would work.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 03, 2015 0
Mar 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you add the print command as a part of the JS code then you could abort it entirely (when the button is used) if not all the fields are filled-in.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 03, 2015 0
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realized after I posted this that it did not work. I could click okay and still save or print. Any suggestions? I probably need an "else if" statement at the end of the script.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 03, 2015 0
Mar 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It all has to be done in a single script. One action can't interfere with another one.

If you post your code I could let you know how to do it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 03, 2015 0
Jun 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not just use the number of fields and the get nth field name with the getField to get and test each page as needed?

You will need to account for fields that do not have a value.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 01, 2013 0
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, does anyone know how to make an app.alert if the required fields are all filled in. ie. one or more characters? Something like, "All required fields are filled in "

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 19, 2014 0
Nov 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is the "else"  if there are no uncompleted fields. It was included in my earlier post.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 20, 2014 0
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Try67,

I have set your code into my pdf document (Will Print and Will Save Menu), when I go to File - Print or File - Save warning was appear "Error! You must fill in the following fields" that's clear. But, unfortunately my document was still printed and saved after that warning.

How to prevent my document if field not complete will stay not print or save ?

Quote :

var emptyFields = [];

}

}

}

Thank you

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 01, 2015 0
Jul 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't prevent that entirely. One possibility, though, is to have an error message show up on the form itself, saying it is incomplete.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 01, 2015 0
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Try,

Thanks for response, is it possible if we set disable print menu after alert show or data blank or what ever that inform user that he doesn't complete it?

My document already show alert message and set focus to that blank field, but after that document still printed.

Thank you Sir,

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 02, 2015 0
Jul 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can if you do the printing from the script. Change the last block of code to this:

} else this.print();

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 03, 2015 0
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Document still print sir, and data still shown, doc should be blank. any other ways for this sir ? or did you posted / experienced for using print button in form or disable print menu in File - Print menu setting.

Thank you for your time and response

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 06, 2015 0
Jul 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you make sure to remove any other commands to print the file from the button?

And you can't disable the built-in Print command of the application.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 06, 2015 0
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the print button should check all field and if all field are complete, the document will print. For other command keep on that document sir.

Sample : Your first PDF form with Scribus - Scribus Wiki

Thank you sir

Acroread unicode.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 06, 2015 0
Jul 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't control how that "Print Form" button works. You can only use the

WillPrint event to present an error, or even hide the fields in the file if

they're not all filled-in, so the printed result is a blank form. But you

can't prevent the file from printing entirely.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 07, 2015 0
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, I've found the way for last issue. Thank you, for your exp.

and now, i've some issues as below :

1. Can we set field to un-required / required = false or set as blank field when we push check button ? (If condition)

2. Can we set some fields to un-required / required = false or set as blank field when we fill one field use text button  ? (If condition)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 08, 2015 0
Jul 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, all of these things are possible.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 09, 2015 0
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

any references for that sir?

Thank you

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 09, 2015 0
Jul 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What kind of condition do you want to use? What exactly do you want to do to the other field? Set it as not required? Clear its value?

Try to be a bit more specific.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 09, 2015 0
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

--> I have 1 check button and I have some require fields in documents.

--> If I click that check button, some fields modified to unrequired field

--> I have 1 text button and I have some require fields in documents.

--> If I insert some character into that text button, some fields modified to unrequired field or modified other fields.

Thank you Sir

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 09, 2015 0
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the condition :  

--> I have 1 check button and I have some require fields in documents.

--> If I click that check button, some fields modified to be not required field

--> I have 1 text button and I have some require fields in documents.

--> If I insert some character into that text button, some fields modified to be not required field or modified other fields or clear value, etc.

Thank you Sir

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 09, 2015 0
Jul 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the check-box, as the MouseUp script use this code:

if (event.target.value=="Off") {

this.getField("Field1").required = true;

this.getField("Field2").required = true;

this.getField("Field3").required = true;

} else {

this.getField("Field1").required = false;

this.getField("Field2").required = false;

this.getField("Field3").required = false;

}

For the text field, use this code as the custom Validation script:

if (event.value=="") {

this.getField("Field1").required = true;

this.getField("Field2").required = true;

this.getField("Field3").required = true;

} else {

this.getField("Field1").required = false;

this.getField("Field2").required = false;

this.getField("Field3").required = false;

}

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 10, 2015 0
Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello,

Im using the following in order to unhide a signature button if all fields are filled, it is working correctly for text fields in documents and i dont need it to check check boxes, however i do need it to check radio buttons have all been selected.

i'm using the following:

this.getField("Document Sign").hidden = true
var emptyFields = [];

if (f.type!="button" && f.required && f.display==display.visible) {

if ((f.type=="text" && f.value=="") || (f.type=="checkbox" && f.value=="Off"))

emptyFields.push(f.name);

}

}

app.alert("Error! You must fill in all required Fields:\n");
     //removed list as it has over 200 fields and if clicked to early produces a pop up that is too big to close

}
else{this.getField("Document Signed").hidden = false}

I am assuming the only section that will have to be changed is checkbox in bold above as radio buttons also have off as their default state, however I cant seem to find the exact type name for radio buttons.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 10, 2015 1
Jul 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use this;

|| ((f.type=="checkbox" || f.type=="radiobutton") && f.value=="Off"))

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 10, 2015 1
Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cheers that has worked perfectly! I was using just "radio" as an alternate to "checkbox".

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 10, 2015 0
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you sir try67‌ , you're very helpful..

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 10, 2015 0
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys

In the below script It very useful & it's work perfectly but in the script (text fields & check fields) only it consider other than Dropdown box and List box  are not considering. Can you please help me out how to include those dropdown & list box in this script

var emptyFields = [];

}

}

}

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 13, 2015 0