Highlighted

Clicking embedded links in PDF causes program to become unresponsive

Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I receive PDFs from a variety of sources and colleagues. Embedded links, when clicked, take 2-3 minutes to process, causing the program to become unresponsive. Eventually a box pops up asking about default behaviour, but even when I check off the box to accept for future PDFs, it doesn't seem to change. The link takes, in total, 4 minutes to open after causing the program to become unresponsive.

See attached link to screenshare: https://youtu.be/4wbX-dvl5po

This issue is new within the last month.

I use Windows 10 / 64 bit.

I have 64GB ram, 2TB SSD. Performance is not an issue. The app is updated to most recent version 20.013.20064.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
TOPICS
Crash or freeze

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Clicking embedded links in PDF causes program to become unresponsive

Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I receive PDFs from a variety of sources and colleagues. Embedded links, when clicked, take 2-3 minutes to process, causing the program to become unresponsive. Eventually a box pops up asking about default behaviour, but even when I check off the box to accept for future PDFs, it doesn't seem to change. The link takes, in total, 4 minutes to open after causing the program to become unresponsive.

See attached link to screenshare: https://youtu.be/4wbX-dvl5po

This issue is new within the last month.

I use Windows 10 / 64 bit.

I have 64GB ram, 2TB SSD. Performance is not an issue. The app is updated to most recent version 20.013.20064.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
TOPICS
Crash or freeze

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 15, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mind shareing an example of the file with this problem?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 15, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't look like I can attach a PDF file here. So here's a download link: https://we.tl/t-gfkjeIcUec

Just as an FYI, I have 3 computers at home, on 2 of them clicking the links works perfectly. So I doubt you'll be able to recreate this on your end. It's specific to my laptop (Dell XPS 15)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 15, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version build of MS Windows 10  are you using in that Dell computer? And which version of Adobe Acrobat  Pro DC in all of the three computers? Is it the same version update for each one??

Also, is this happening even if you've applied the last windows update that was pushed in October 2020?

And does the problem continues to occur even uif you click on Help--->> "Repair Installation"?

This problem with the unicode that was generated from the URI weblink creation tool was addressed months ago in prior updates of Acrobat ProDC. Verify that it is up to date.

If it is up to date, and the same problem persists,  check this other setting in your Windows 10:

unicode-locale.png

Sorry about the French comments I used this slide before to help somebody else. You may need to do a restart after you uncheck that option.

I would strongly recommend to also test with different browsers, I am not sure if you have tested if this behavior is also consistent in different web browsers. You may need to define in your dell computer which PDF application is the default viewer and also which web browser is the default browser. The links will open up automatically in whatever program you choose to be the default to open these links.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 15, 2020 0
Participant ,
Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am afraid you are right, both links open here without any problem. But I had that issue in previous to current Acrobat.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 16, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this detailed recommendation.

To answer:

• I'm on Windows 10 build 19042.630. Both of my Dell computers are upgraded to the most recent feature update Oct. 2020.
  • I tried "repair installation" and it did not help.
  • I also ensured that the unicode box was unchecked - it already was unchecked.
  • I restarted my computer but the issue persists on my XPS 15 7590.

If there are any other suggestions I would be happy to try them to see if I can solve the issue!

Thanks,

Stephanie

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 17, 2020 0