• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to make combined pdf pages the same size.

Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2016 Jul 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have combined several pages into one pdf Binder.  Although all the pages were built on 8.5 x 11 inch paper, inside the combined pdf they are different sizes on the scree.  How can I achieve continuity between all the page sizes?

TOPICS
Create PDFs , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Mentor , Jul 28, 2016 Jul 28, 2016

Print to Adobe PDF with "fit" (uncheck from "actual size") in print settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide , Oct 03, 2018 Oct 03, 2018

You can do this with Acrobat Pro.

Go to Tools> Print Production> Prefilght> FixUps (blue wrench icon)> Pages.

Select Scale pages to specified size

Go to the little fly-out menu and duplicate the prefilght, give it a new name.

Click on Edit, to change the desired final trim size and the method used to get to this size (scale, white border, etc.)

Click on Fix to apply the change.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 127 Replies 127
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello, would you help me with the fact that how can I print with fit (page sizing) without flattening of my pdf and highlights? many thanks in advance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

George,  I just signed up for Adobe Acrobat on my iPad. The subscription version. I am combining 2 jpegs/pdf's.  The are actually the same size as PDFs. It's a book and it's cover. I have to use the compress function on the inside of the book because it's over 104mb. After I do that, I select add a file. It adds the cover. But the cover is waaay smaller than the book and looks silly. I read your notes about click "print" and size to fit etc, but this version on the iPad, when I do that, it doesn't even offer those options, how do I resize the cover to match the book?  When I do select "print" it in fact shows the cover as being the same size as the internal pages. But the issue is, I need to send electronic versions of the book and the cover needs to be the same size in that send.  Thank you!🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They clearly aren't the same size or they would be the same size in PDF. Two documents may view on screen and look the same size, but that's just a chance of how they look; you need to choose the size in inches (or mm) carefully for each. This probably means going back a step to how the PDFs were made. How do you make the book, and make the cover?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will ask my programmer today. It’s a book that is fed directly to the
printer. So the size must be the same. The only thing is, the cover is both
front and back so I am cropping it by, let’s face it, approximately half.
But even accounting for wiggle room, it’s displaying at less than half the
size when combined with the book pages.

I get what you’re saying, but, I am selling these books and sending the
files to the printer, there is no adjustment on the printers end as it’s
automated, so the file must be the same size. But I will definitely check.
Maybe something is happening when I download it.

Thank you so much!
--
*Princess Adventures*

*www.PrincessAdventures.com *
*Austin, Texas*
*(331) 645-9396*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 01, 2020 Nov 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The thing to get into the habit of is to check the page size. In Acrobat or Reader the trick is to move the cursor down to the bottom left of the page, and the size should pop up. You can't really tell anything by looking because Acrobat will happily scale any size to fill the page.

This size is in inches or mm. All PDFs are measured this way, but it has no real relation to the size on screen. However, it is very much the size to print. If you have a piece that is 8.5 x 11 inches and cut it in half, then the print size is going to be 8.5 x 5.5 inches. Hence the importance of designing at the right finished size. Often the first clue that something is going to print badly wrong is that the pages of a document show up as different sizes on screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I end up opening the combined file in Preview Mac Built-in App. Then go to print, and under the PDF dropdown in the bottom left, save as pdf, and this saved file has the pages as the same page, per the printer settings in Preview.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes this now works, using the Preview Mac Built-in App. Thanks! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2022 Jan 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to do it once the way you described, but now when I save the combined PDF to Preview, it saves as individual pages.  What needs to change?  I've tried to save as a jpeg several different ways after combining in Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not know what it means, when you print to preview, but creating JPEGs means one file per page. There is no multiple page JPEG.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can change the page size of pdfs in Acrobat, there is no need to print to a new pdf, which can damage pdf functionality and is not best practice. Opening a pdf in Apple Preview can also damage a pdf. I have added a link to a related discussion, see the last post for the safest and best option (IMHO) to re-size a pdf and make all page sizes consistent, (assuming some pages don't contain crop marks and bleed).

Another good option is to place all pdf pages into InDesign, where you have good control over size, position & bleed, you can also have multiple page sizes, if needed. Export to a new pdf.

Edit, I see I already made the same suggestions years earlier in this thread.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/resizing-individual-pages-within-a-pdf/m-p/970792...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2022 Mar 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a MAC -  and this suggestion worked.  Thank you. 

I went from Adobe to Preview - then I went to "Save as PDF" from the print screen - and saved it. Then, when I opened on Adobe Acrobat - the pages were the same size. 

I think Adobe has to have a simple option that lets a user click "MAKE THE DARN PAGES THE SAME FREAKIN' SIZE" 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2022 Mar 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like this has been ongoing for years! Here's what I do to fix this  problem:

Open the scanned document in Adobe Scan App > Tap "Modify" > Tap " Resize",
select the desired page size (for example, US Lettet Portrait)
scroll through all the pages and make sure the entire page fits into the Crop Marks for the selected page size.

When ready to save the changes hit the Check Mark √ at the top of the document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2022 Aug 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Friends, 

I lost sleep over this - it's so annoying lol. The pages are all 8.5 x 11 but the freakin images looked like they were different sizes.  

Here's what worked for me (on my MAC).  I emailed the document to myself. Then, I opened the attachment online, then I printed it as a PDF (save as PDF)- and then somehow the images of the pages were all the same size.   

Just for the heck of it, the above works also if you fill out a form and can't save it as a flattened document (bc of the security or whatever). If you do the above, it somehow works to flatten the document.   I hope this helps 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2012 Aug 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I have Adobe Acrobat Pro, I believe 9 or 10.  I received a document today in 2 pages that I need to combine into 1 page.  I believe the original page was bigger than a normal size piece of paper which is why I have 2 pages.  The problem is it cut the document in half and I need them side by side to be able to read the document.  I know I can use the vew menu and place them side by side but I also need to email this document out for other to read.  Can you help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open the PDF  then go into the PDF's Document Properties (Ctrl+D).
Select the Initial View tab.
For Page layout select two up facing.
Save As to PDF.

Now, each time the PDF is opened the two pages will display side by side.

Be well...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect and thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2012 Sep 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now how do you get it to print with the side-by-side display?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 06, 2012 Sep 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To print two pages side-by-side.

Open the PDF with Acrobat.
Select File - Print.
In the Print dialog use the drop-down menu for "Page Scaling" to select Multiple pages per sheet.
For "Pages per sheet" select "2" from the drop-down menu.

Capture1.png

Be well...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2012 Sep 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow. Worked like a charm. Thank you! Especially for the visual... I may have overlooked the custom "2 per sheet" setting thinking I already did that in the "1 by 2" area.  There are a lot of people out there who need to read this thread.

Since you're on a roll, would you mind answering how I'd save the side-by-side layout into a new PDF so when other people receive it and print it, they don't need to know anything special besides just pushing the print button?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 09, 2012 Sep 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the picture speaks more than a thousand words especially when you get to my age!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This method also allows you to print 4 PDF pages into one sheet of paper (2 by 2), for example. I used it to convert hundreds of DIN A6 labels (each one a different page) into DIN A4 pages with 4 labels in it. Printed them as a PDF, and sent that PDF to print so they didn't have to mess with these options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2020 Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am currently using adobe dc pro version 15 and windows 10 pro and after searching the web I could not find a way to do this so, I thought I post to the forum for help.

Let’s say I have various adobe pdf single files and what I would like is to combine all these files into a book with all the pages numbers 1, 2 3 etc and back to back.

Is there away to do this and if so how?

If more information is needed let me know.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can combine PDF files in Acrobat via File - Create - Combine Files into a Single PDF, then you can number them using the Number Pages or Add Header & Footer tools (the former will change the labels of the pages, the latter will add an actual page number to them).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 30, 2022 Jan 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to scan an 80-page document via my Officejet Pro 6968. Each page has content on both sides and this device doesn't support scanning front and back. This means I'll have to scan the odd pages first to a PDF file and repeat this operation for the even pages, leaving me with two PDFs. 

If I were to combine these two into 1 PDF, is there a way to restore the correct page order, without having to do it manually with Organize Pages?

It's only an island if you look at it from the water.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines