• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to combining pdfs with digital signature

New Here ,
Mar 21, 2018 Mar 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to combine pdfs without losing digital signatures?

If not, why not?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 21, 2018 Mar 21, 2018

Digital Signature, unlike "wet" signatures, apply to the entire document as a whole, not just to the page where the signature is located.

If someone could add new pages to a document you signed and it would appear you agreed to those pages without having seen them before you won't be too happy, would you?

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, by making a portfolio. It is of course impossible to add pages to a signed document, because think what that could do to a signed contract. So they cannot be combined to a normal PDF, only a portfolio, which keeps them separate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Digital Signature, unlike "wet" signatures, apply to the entire document as a whole, not just to the page where the signature is located.

If someone could add new pages to a document you signed and it would appear you agreed to those pages without having seen them before you won't be too happy, would you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2019 Oct 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What if you're trying to combine signatures?  I was able to use Acrobat DC distribute to send a document out to 4 people for signature, but the output is 4 duplicate documents with 4 different signatures when what I want is one document with all 4 signatures.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 30, 2019 Oct 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe Adobe Sign offers that functionality. If not, you can do it in serial instead of parallel, ie, send to person 1, who sends their signed copy to person 2, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 30, 2019 Oct 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or, if you don't want the people to be in direct contact with each other, send to person 1, who sends it back to you, you send it to person 2, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Open the signed pdf in Adobe.
  2. Open print dialogue (Ctrl+p)
  3. Change the printer to "Microsoft Print to PDF" then print.
  4. The newly created PDF will have the signatures and will behave as a normal pdf for combine/merge activities.

Screenshot 2021-01-15 150132.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EdZooks, thanks, but that is nonsense. Printing cannot preserve digital signatures, only pictures of signatures, which are useless and not legally valid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Test Screen Name's" comment deserves some consideration.  My suggested approach converts the digitally signed document to a standard pdf.  The result displays the signature information but the underlying digital signature is lost.  In my case the original signers understand the distinction. 

Creating a summary file is my goal.  I combine a variety of digitally signed, along with other related, documentation into a single summary pdf.  The original, digitally signed documents, are stored for future reference.  I am increasingly convinced that it is not possible to combine digitally signed documents into a single, summary pdf, while maintaining the underlying digital signatures.  

Users needing summary packets will benefit from my suggested approach.  However as "Test Screen Name" suggests, my approach remains "legally valid" to the extent that the original digitally signed documents are available on demand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EdZooks, thanks for the tip. I'm in exactly the same situation. I don't actually need the combined document to be "legally valid" but I do need a one file "packet" of various documents, some which are signed and some which are not. The portfolio method works in some cases but many users just see a screen that tells them to upgrade to Acrobat X or Acrobat Reader X.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2021 Jul 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This method does not work.  Acrobat refuses to print as you highlight above to Microsoft Print to PDF or I also have a Adobe Acrobat printer option.  Both come back with a log fail saying the files are protected and can't be printed to pdf.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 20, 2021 Jul 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good. It shouldn't allow you to do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you - it is rare to get such a simple answer upfront that works.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2022 Aug 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks EdZooks. This method works perfectly for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2022 Oct 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much. Worked perfect for me as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2023 Feb 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi EdZooks,

I came here looking for an actual work around and came across your comment.   This is what I've been doing but wanted to see if there was a proper way to go about this.  Good to know that there isn't.

Thanks !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2023 Feb 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for my purposes. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2023 Jul 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're awesome. This was the only thing that worked. There's always a workaround and you discovered it. What a hassle Adobe created but hey you got it to work! I will share with everyone I know. Wish I found your response sooner as I wasted many hours on this. Thanks!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 26, 2023 Jul 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just be aware you're effectively destroying the signature when you do it. The combined files are not digitally signed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2021 May 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct Answer: Unable to not lose them

Work Around:

Ex: File 1 has dig sig (or more) - File 2 dose not
You sign the dig sig. - Print this to PDF - Use combine feature - Presto Done
Reason: Print to PDF removes the Dig Sig but leaves the Sig.

Pro Tip: Need another dig sig after you have combined files. Use Fill & Sign and add Place Signature. This is will allow you to create a size of the dig size box and then require to immediately save the combined file PDF. Now hover over your sig, right click and choose Clear Sig. Hit save. Presto you have not added a dig sig for the next person in the sig collection line. I am using Adobe Acrobar XI Version 11.0.09

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 07, 2022 Apr 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As more organizations use electronic records for things like meeting minutes, where they want to create a set of signed minutes for each meeting, and then combine the files into a single file for a specific year, as the archive,  it would seem Adobe Acrobat would grow to allow each signed PDF to be combined, but have the signatures tied to each file remain. So one could look at a signatures tree for the packaged file and see that each individual file still  has its signature integrity. This equates to where one can put signed paper minutes pages into a locking record notebook, on numbered pages, and have each individual meeting (file) still be its own.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 07, 2022 Apr 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A Portfolio allows you to do just that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2022 Aug 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some organizations (like NIH) require uploads of flattened PDFs not portfolios, so combining a number of signed PDFs is a common need. Will just have to go back and request signer to sign in a word doc and then convert to PDF I suppose. Or some other non-digital method Hassle but OK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 07, 2022 Aug 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then don't bother with digital signatures in the first place. Just use an image field or the Fill & Sign tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines