Exit

Comment Checkbox Status not visible

Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Acrobat Pro DC (2021.001.20142)
macOS Catalina (10.15.6) 

I have clicked the Checkbox in the Comments. But the status that i already clicked it is not visible to other people who get this PDF File for review. They have the same Version of Acrobat.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2022 Feb 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem, exccept I am using Acrobat Pro 2017 (Version 2017.011.30207) on a PC and the other person is using Creative Cloud (Version 2021.011.20039) on a Mac.  Neither of us can see the boxes the other checked.  Also, if she sends me a file with checked boxes, and I open it in Pro 2017, and save it and send it back.  She can still see her checked comment boxes which I couldn't see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tiffany,

the Problem is yet not solved from Adobe... we have now the workaround that we comment the comment with a single letter – comments of the comments are still visible. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That comment checkbox is a convenience for the user that is stored on the user's system. It is not stored in the PDF file.  I've always been confused by this particular setting as well. 

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 06, 2022 Oct 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the hint!

This feature would be worth in a Upgrade 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Oct 11, 2022 Oct 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

With regard to the Comment checkbox status, Thom Parker wrote in February that he has "always been confused by this particular setting". He also noted that that the checkbox "is not stored in the PDF but on the user's system". I wrote otherwise in a 2018 thread: after using Acrobat X Pro to export all PDF Comments to a "data file" (*.fdf) I found not only time-stamped check-marks I'd made but also those from a colleague; the only connection between our computers is e-mail, while the PDF went back and forth by WeTransfer, so the check-mark information must have been carried in the PDF.

Unfortunately, Acrobat X Pro's user interface doesn't offer a way to access check-marks by others, a trait that lasted into the CC era. In late 2018 Try67 described his Comments Review Tools, saying that the "user interface of Adobe Acrobat (and Reader) makes it difficult to make the most of this [check-mark] feature," a situation his tools were designed to correct. IIRC, upgrades to Acrobat Pro have since increased access to check-mark authors, but anyone who uses check-marks should consider whether Try67's tool offers better control.

One of Adobe's upgrades to the handling of check-marks caused a stir on the Adobe forum late in 2018, culminating in Adobe's announcement that they had added a preference to ease access to the check-box, also explained in the documentation. Listed among keyboard shortcuts for Acrobat/Reader is "Add a checkmark in the Comments List for the selected comment", Shift-K; however, at the head of each section the documentation explains shortcuts require setting the Use Single-Key Accelerators To Access Tools option under Preferences > General > Basic Tools.

On Comments in general, have you ever found that one you added didn't "stick"? That is, you are sure you made a Comment but later found it had gone AWOL. In days gone by Esc would close the Comment and preserve its contents, but the new interface requires "Posting" the comment for it to stick. The changed behavior has led to gripes as recently as last week; an Adobe representative concluded (July 11) "So, apart from the Esc key, all other ways to post the comment are retained", including the [new?] keyboard short-cut Alt+Enter. Incidentally, the latter does not appear in the list of shortcuts cited above (updated Sep 7, 2022), nor does it require setting the preference for Single-Key Accelerators.

Good luck,

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines