• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Connecting two dropdown lists using forms in Acrobat DC.

Community Beginner ,
Apr 14, 2021 Apr 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am completely new to making forms and Javascripts. Someone else asked a similar question and the reply is not available.

I work at a university in Japan that is recruiting new students from other countries, yet expects them to fill out a form that is completely in Japanese. As the sole English-speaker, I want to make filling out the form as easy as possible. There are two fields where prospective students must choose a (1) "Desired School" and a (2) "Desired Department." If a prospective student wants to study in a certain school, they must choose a specific department within that school.

I know from learning Basic this requires an "if...then" entry, that may look something like "if A then A1, A2, A3..." or "if B then B1, B2, B3..." and so forth. Unfortunately, I don't know how this works with Javascript.

Help please.

TOPICS
Create PDFs , Edit and convert PDFs , How to , JavaScript , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dltravies

Hope you are doing well and sorry for the trouble. As described you want to connect two dropdown list using forms in Acrobat DC.

The workflow you are trying to achieve is possible using the JavaScript. For more information please check the help page https://www.adobe.com/content/dam/acom/en/devnet/acrobat/pdfs/js_developer_guide.pdf

Hope this information will help

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Employing JavaScript with Dependent dropdown menus or listboxes is not a trivial task, specifically for a beginner in Acrobat JavaScript.

Your best bet in this case is to hire a  developer that can help you with this project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I used to be a teacher for this school. Whenever I asked for supplies for my classroom, they suggested I go to Japan's version of the Dollar Store. So I want to learn and become an in-house developer.

Do you have any suggestions on where to start?

Thank you so much for responding.

DL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 06, 2021 May 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

++In addition to all the great suggestions,

Are you interested in getting trained in Acrobat JavaScript  in a classroom setting? Looking for online courses or distant learning ? self-paced coursewear?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2021 May 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I would like self-paced courseware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to use 'setItems()' to populate second dropdown field.

This is basic script how to do it ( there is plenty of those on this forum if you look for it)

you adapt script to your needs, it's used as 'Validation' of first dropdown field:

if(event.value == "A")
this.getField("Dropdown2").setItems(["A1","A2","A3"]);
else if(event.value == "B")
this.getField("Dropdown2").setItems(["B1","B2","B3"]);
else this.getField("Dropdown2").clearItems();

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines