Highlighted

Convert Word to pdf without adding hard returns

New Here ,
Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I export to PDF from Word, OR convert to PDF from Acrobat the resulting file contains a hard return at the end of each line. How can I control Acrobat and only have a hard return ocurr at the end of the paragraph?

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Convert Word to pdf without adding hard returns

New Here ,
Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I export to PDF from Word, OR convert to PDF from Acrobat the resulting file contains a hard return at the end of each line. How can I control Acrobat and only have a hard return ocurr at the end of the paragraph?

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 02, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are no hard (or soft) returns in PDF. The PDF content you create has no formatting applied to it in the sense of what you would do in MS Word. What PDF contains is a series of characters, layed out in a certain way across a page. What you make out of that by looking at it is up to you, and the same thing applies when you try to repurpose the content of the PDF file, but then it's no longer you looking, it's the application that converts from PDF to your target format that needs to interpret the content. 

Let's take a step back: What are you trying to accomplish? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 02, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There can be, if the application that created the file inserted them (incorrectly). In that case they would also appear in the output when converted to another format.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 02, 2020 0
Participant ,
Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mean there is a hard return when you copy two lines of text in one paragraph?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 02, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As part of my work, I highlight. copy and then paste into Notepad. Notepad breaks the text at the end of each physical line. I add a space after the last character and delete the hard return, to produce a correct paragraph. This is then copied and pasted into an program to compare this block of text to what should be a match. Yesterday, I did something in the settings of Acrobat and when I created a pdf from a Word file. The hard returns were gone. I did not have time to work it out yet, but I do not believe it was a fluke.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 03, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I identified the method. Word WITH the "Create Adobe PDF" option from the File Export menu. Using this option to acrobat, you can create the pdf without the equivelent of adding a hard return at the end of every line.

I tried every setting I could find and every type of export from inside Acrobat itseld, and they all cause the hard return at the end of each line.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 03, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Oct 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the character is there then it should be exported. This is correct behavior. You can do a Search & Replace command in Word later on to remove it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 03, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When exporting Word to PDF, be sure to export as a "tagged PDF", so you should not have this issue.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 03, 2020 0