• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Converting HH:MM time in Adobe form to convert to minutes and calculate past midnight

Explorer ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a problem with one of the forms I created in Adobe Pro DC.  This form requires a calculation for the minutes field but what I didn't know when creating the script was that the time may go over multiple days, so now I have no idea how to fix it.  I'm hoping someone can help.

I'm not sure if this is relevant or helpful...  I have a start date and and stop date and start time and stop time.  Then each test is to have the time entered when the test was conducted in HH:MM time.  I was using the first entry of these times to calculate the rest of the minutes, but I can see now that if the testing spans over a day or goes past midnight on the first day, than it is not going to calculate properly.  I'm thinking that maybe it would be easier to grab the last minute calculated and then add the next set to that, but am not sure how to even begin coding that...

I'm really new a javascripting and creating Adobe forms and have found some of the coding on-line and manipulated it for my purposes, but I can't find anything on line to help with this particular issue.  

Here is a screen shot to give you an idea of what it looks like now (but I am also attaching the entire form):

image.png

And the code currently looks like this:

//get the value of the time field in calculation
var startTime1=this.getField("Test_Time.0").value;
var endTime1=this.getField("Test_Time.1").value;
if (endTime1==""){
   event.value="";
}else if (endTime1!=""){

//split the time fields value into an array of hours and minutes
//convert the hours to minutes and compute the total minutes as a variable
var aTime1=startTime1.split(":");
var nMinutes1=Number(aTime1[0])*60+Number(aTime1[1]);
var aTime2=endTime1.split(":");
var nMinutes2=Number(aTime2[0])*60+Number(aTime2[1]);

//add all the minutes variables
var nTotalMinutes=nMinutes2-nMinutes1;
//get the whole hours from the total of all minutes
var nHours=Math.floor(nTotalMinutes/60);
//get just the minutes less than 1 hour (60 minutes) for the total of all minutes
var nMinutes=nTotalMinutes%60;
//make a string variable of the hours, ":", and minutes
var sTotalAllTime = nHours + ":" +nMinutes

event.value=nTotalMinutes;

}

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!  Thank you 🙂

TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 02, 2020 Jul 02, 2020

Yes, if it can span more than one day then you have to include the date, as well as the time.

The code will then need to convert the value of the fields to Date objects (using the scand method of the util objects), and then calculating the difference between them is much more straight forward.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the start time is 9:00 and the end time is 9:30, how would you know if the result is 0:30 hours, or 24:30 hours?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 02, 2020 Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a good question.  I do have a start time and a stop time inserted at the top of this table, but not sure if that is something that can be utilized here?    Do you think it would be better to have the user enter the date and the time through a date field?  Would it be possible to only display the time on the form?  What would the coding look like if I'm calculating days to minutes or woud it be generally the same?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 02, 2020 Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, if it can span more than one day then you have to include the date, as well as the time.

The code will then need to convert the value of the fields to Date objects (using the scand method of the util objects), and then calculating the difference between them is much more straight forward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 14, 2020 Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!  That worked 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 16, 2020 Jul 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have another question.  So the user will enter in the first time in the table (called Test_Time.0). the Test_Minutes.0 field is defaulted to 0.  For some reason, all the Test_Minutes fields populate with a random (or looks random to me) number.  Further, for the next time (Test_Time.1), the user will use the drop-down box and select current date, but the time stays the same as the original time entered.  The Test.Minutes.1 box will update to the correct amount of minutes elapsed, so that part is right.  My question is:  

Is there a way to A) only trigger the Test.Minutes.1 (and the rest up to Test.Minutes.49) formula when a time is actually entered into the Test.Time.1 box, otherwise, it would just stay blank?

B)  When the user clicks on the dropdown and it inserts the date chosen, can it change the time to the current time and the user would be able to modify if needed?

// These first two values are strings
var strStartDate = this.getField("Test_Time.0").value;
var strEndDate = this.getField("Test_Time.1").value;

if(strEndDate.length||strStartDate.length){
var dateStart = util.scand("m/d/yy/ HH:MM", strStartDate);
var dateEnd = util.scand("m/d/yy HH:MM", strEndDate);

var diff = dateEnd.getTime() - dateStart.getTime();

// One Day = (24 hours) x (60 minutes/hour) x
// (60 seconds/minute) x (1000 milliseconds/second)

oneMinute = 60*1000;
var minutes = Math.floor(diff/oneMinute);
event.value=minutes;
}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 16, 2020 Jul 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you're describing is very odd. Could you share the file with us, so we can check why these "random" numbers show up?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 17, 2020 Jul 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely!  Thank you so much!!  Hopefully this works -- it looks like the file is attached 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry -- I was away on vacation. Have you had a chance to look at the file?  Any ideas why it's doing what it's doing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't notice the attached file until now. I opened it and changed the value of a field, and a whole bunch or error messages appeared in the JS Console. You need to fix all of them and then test it again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you!!!  All fixed now 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines