• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Converting Word Doc to PDF Changes Font. How to Preserve Font?

New Here ,
Jan 20, 2019 Jan 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed a few fonts in my Microsoft Word document that I am trying to convert to a PDF. However, the fonts are not being preserved when I convert the file through Adobe. How can I preserve the fonts?

TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 21, 2019 Jan 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you convert to PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2019 Jan 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bernd- Thanks for responding. I figured it out! I downloaded Adobe Acrobat Reader DC and used the "edit pdf" option to manual change the fonts and make sure hyperlinks were working. It's a bummer that the only option to do this requires paying for the software, but it did work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 22, 2019 Jan 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're using Adobe's PDF Maker plug-in in Word (aka, the Acrobat ribbon), change the conversion preferences to embed all fonts before you actually export the PDF.

1. From the Acrobat Ribbon in MS Word, select Preferences
  2. Select Advanced Settings
  3. Select Fonts from the left side
  4. Check the following items:
    1. Embed all fonts
    2. Embed OpenType fonts
    3. Subset ...is less than 100%
  5. From the 2 lower right field boxes, remove all fonts from both boxes, even the standard Windows fonts. This will force the converter to embed all of the fonts into the PDF and not rely on the user having them on their computer.

The Acrobat Ribbon in MS Word:

PDF Embed Fonts_1.png

Setting Preferences to Embed All Fonts (subsetted)

PDF Embed Fonts_2.png

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 29, 2021 Jan 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bevi - I am trying to convert a newsletter created in Word 365 that has a color background and Veranda Pro font to PDF using Adobe Acrobat Pro DC.  It recently did an update and it isn't converting to PDF with the font or color background.  I followed your instructions here and now have the colored background, but the font continues to change?  Can you help me? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2023 Dec 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This was very helpful! Totally worked for the conversion of my assignment (Word to .pdf)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines