• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Converting Word doc to PDF - trouble with section breaks

Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2016 Jan 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Adobe Acrobat Pro (2015 Continuous release) on my Macbook Pro (OS Yosemite 10.10.5) and I use Word for Mac 2011. I write a lot of lengthy documents and often insert section breaks so I can change the page orientation from portrait to landscape and back, etc.. When I convert Word documents to PDF only part of the document is PDF-ed up until the first page re-orientation.  It drives me crazy because to enable the whole document to be converted I have to break up my word document into separate documents according to portrait or landscape and then convert each to a PDF separately and then combine them at the end.  It causes no end of trouble with page numbers and headers and footers.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Does anyone have a solution?

I would be grateful for any assistance.  I am about to write another very lengthy report that will contain pages of different orientation and I would prefer to be able to PDF it in one go.  Thanks.

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 13, 2016 Jan 13, 2016

Hi wendym79499885,

In Word, open the file you want to create a PDF of, click File > Print, and select Adobe PDF as your printer.

Click Properties in the Print dialog box and make sure you have the selections you want.

Back on the Print Setup dialog, leave the Paper and Orientation as both Letter and Portrait respectively.

In the Print dialog box, select Print to File and browse to the correct location. Make certain to save this as a PostScript file (name.ps) and at the Safe Book As field, you want S

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 13, 2016 Jan 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi wendym79499885,

In Word, open the file you want to create a PDF of, click File > Print, and select Adobe PDF as your printer.

Click Properties in the Print dialog box and make sure you have the selections you want.

Back on the Print Setup dialog, leave the Paper and Orientation as both Letter and Portrait respectively.

In the Print dialog box, select Print to File and browse to the correct location. Make certain to save this as a PostScript file (name.ps) and at the Safe Book As field, you want Single File selected.

Again on the Print Book dialog, click the checkbox for Generate Adobe Data and click PDF Setup. On the PDF Setup for Selected Files dialog, at the PDF Job Options, select Press Quality or make the appropriate choices for your situation for Settings, Bookmarks, Tags, and Links.

With Adobe Distiller open, File > Open and browse to the .ps file you indicated earlier. Also verify your Default Settings for the PDF are correct. When Distiller is finished, you can double-click the PDF file to open it and check that your portrait and landscape pages show correctly.

Let me know if this works for you.

Regards,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2016 Jan 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Meenakshin8396605,

Thanks so much for your answer - it has literally saved me hours!!!! 

Just a few things I need to mention because I wasn't able to follow your answer to the letter and want to be sure that even though the final product looks right it will still be fully functional. 

I didn't have:

• a Print Dialog box that contained the options you mentioned. 

There was no:

• Properties to make selections or
  • Print to File although I could save the document as a PostScript file (name.ps). 

I didn't have the option to:

• Save Book As or
  • to save it as a Single File

There was no option to:

• click the checkbox for Generate Adobe Data and click PDF Setup.

And on the PDF Setup for Selected Files dialog, at the PDF Job Options, I couldn't:

• select Press Quality or make the appropriate choices for your situation for Settings, Bookmarks, Tags, and Links.

But from your advice:

I could access the save as a post script in the print menu and so I did.  It produced 6 files from a 60 page document.  and I saved them to my desktop.  I then opened Adobe Acrobat Pro and combined files into one.  Somewhere on the way the Acrobat Distiller did open but I don't know when and I only found it afterwards where I could then see the options you mentioned regrading 'press quality', etc. 

So, is what I have done still a workable solution do you think?  Thanks again, for all your help.

Regards,

wendym79499885,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2016 Feb 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Acrobat DC on MacOS 10.9 Mavericks with MS Word 2011 and I don't see any of the options or settings listed above. I understand that I'm behind on the MacOS and Word versions; but that is a constraint I have to live with - it is beyond my control. However, I frequently encounter this issue with Word files splitting into multiple PDFs and am getting very tired of the hand labor required to collect all those files together again and combing them in Acrobat. So, is there any way to configure settings in Acrobat DC to make Word files convert into a single PDF? Any other approach that I can find the settings for with the configuration that I have? Please advise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2016 Feb 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David,

I had a document that, in the wee hours of Tuesday morning, I had to pdf before sending to clients.  It was 30, 000 words long, with 65 pages and 4 different changes of page orientation. I was worried that I would have the usual problems or that I would not be able to do what I did last time.  But it was even easier.   I selected print in the file menu and at the bottom of my print box is PDF with a dropdown menu.  I selected save as a PDF, I typed in a title for Save As and selected a location (desktop).  Then in a minute, with a couple of "a header and footer in section 3 is set outside of the margins" warnings to which I responded with an okay, it was done.  No combining - nothing.  All done.  Nothing appears to have been compromised.

If you don't have the PDF dropdown menu I don't think it has anything to do with MacOS 10.9 Mavericks.  I had an earlier version of that OS before and I know that menu was always there in print I just hadn't used it because - heck, why I am paying for a subscription to Adobe for Adobe Acrobat DC - I shouldn't need to use it.  But with your Word version - is it a Mac version?  That would be the only difference that I could see between your systems and mine.

Sorry - not a lot of help....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2021 Apr 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi everyone, 

I also use section breaks a lot in my word files and I have trouble with saving thoses files to pdf... Problem is the same as the initial one described by @wendykm , menaing for each section I have to print a pdf file and assemble them. As if I want to go for printing on one time, only last section is considered by adobe. 

I use Acrobat 2020 on Mac OS Big Sur and Office 2019 for Mac. For printing I go to the "Save as pdf" option in the postcript part of the Print menu in Word, as it seems Adobe PDF printer is not available anymore on Mac since a few years. 

Hope some of you will help me so far !

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines