Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Copy highlighted text

Explorer ,
May 04, 2016 May 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

The text selection tool does not seem to work with highlighted text.  This has been the case for many versions of Acrobat, which is why I don’t think it is a bug, but simply bad design. 

When I move the text selection tool to some highlighted text, the tool changes into a highlight editing tool which cannot select the text under the highlight.

I tried using Shift + select, and that works as intended - it selects all text from the current position of the cursor, which is usually somewhere else in the document.  The problem with that is that I don’t see a way to actually move the cursor to the beginning of the highlighted text in order to select only what I need. 

What is the best way to select highlighted text?

Thank you.

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
May 04, 2016 May 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not tested it, but it should work if you can start the selection outside of the highlighted text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 13, 2016 May 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That doesn't help when I want to select a word or sentence when the entire paragraph is highlighted. 

Plus, one shouldn't have to select more text than needed for the purposes of copying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 13, 2016 May 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Press the shift key and mouse click on the begin and the end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 10, 2016 Jun 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bernd Alheit wrote:

Press the shift key and mouse click on the begin and the end.

I assume that since you're suggesting this, you must have tried it, successfully.

Not only that doesn't work for me, but it doesn't make much sense, because Shift + left click selects text from wherever the cursor is already placed in the document.  If you do the Shift+left click a second time, it just selects more text.

I don't know of a way to mark the beginning of the selection within highlighted text, only using the mouse.  Shift + left click definitely doesn't achieve that.

Any tested and working suggestions would be greatly appreciated here.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 10, 2016 Jun 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What want you select? Where did you place the mouse when you shift + left click?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines