Highlighted

Corrupt PDF after replacing a page or inserting/deleting page

New Here ,
Feb 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been remediating decent size PDFs (anywhere from 10 to 60 MB, usually around 100 - 150 pages) and I keep having an issue where I cannot simply replace a page. If I do, the PDF becomes corrupt. Sometimes I can insert, save, delete, save - but other times that will corrupt the PDF as well. I see that my table structures will dissapear after the replaced page, but not all of the ones behind it are. I cannot see the table summary or headers for any of the tables though.

Looking at Preflight in Acrobat Pro DC 2015 Profiles, listing protential font problems shows that my fonts are not embedded at all. When I go down to embed missing fonts and fix potential font problems and analyze, neither show a problem. I cannot do the analyze and fix because I cannot save the PDF.

For the whole process - I start by opening tiffs in Abbyy FineReader, set box structures, clean up OCR, etc. I then send to Adobe Acrobat and save as a PDF in Acrobat, then finish the rest of the accessibility work. Things are fine until I need to replace a page. Again though, there are times when I can insert, save, delete, and save without any issues - but not always.

I have tried printng to PDF - that created a montser looking PDF and ultimately did not work. I tried combining files, that also did not work. I'm running in circles and often times having to resend and recomplete work. Any ideas????

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs, Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Corrupt PDF after replacing a page or inserting/deleting page

New Here ,
Feb 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been remediating decent size PDFs (anywhere from 10 to 60 MB, usually around 100 - 150 pages) and I keep having an issue where I cannot simply replace a page. If I do, the PDF becomes corrupt. Sometimes I can insert, save, delete, save - but other times that will corrupt the PDF as well. I see that my table structures will dissapear after the replaced page, but not all of the ones behind it are. I cannot see the table summary or headers for any of the tables though.

Looking at Preflight in Acrobat Pro DC 2015 Profiles, listing protential font problems shows that my fonts are not embedded at all. When I go down to embed missing fonts and fix potential font problems and analyze, neither show a problem. I cannot do the analyze and fix because I cannot save the PDF.

For the whole process - I start by opening tiffs in Abbyy FineReader, set box structures, clean up OCR, etc. I then send to Adobe Acrobat and save as a PDF in Acrobat, then finish the rest of the accessibility work. Things are fine until I need to replace a page. Again though, there are times when I can insert, save, delete, and save without any issues - but not always.

I have tried printng to PDF - that created a montser looking PDF and ultimately did not work. I tried combining files, that also did not work. I'm running in circles and often times having to resend and recomplete work. Any ideas????

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs, Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Feb 20, 2020 0
Enthusiast ,
Feb 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Typically I "Organize Pages" in both files and then drag the page from one to the other. This should not have any effect on your existing tag structures.

Give it a try and let me know if it works.

-Dax

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 26, 2020 0
Drag Low LATEST
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen a lot of different suggestions on the web for this, as I was having a similar issue. Whenever I tried to swap out two pages in a big document containing different types of manuscripts throughout, some of the pages would be turned to gibberish after I replaced 2 pages. 

In exasperation, I simply saved a new file but tried "Reduce File Size". After doing that, for whatever reason, I was able to replace the pages without the rest of the document falling apart. Hope that helps!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 01, 2020 0