• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating a form

Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure of the technical language to describe what I want to do so please bear with me.

As a part of our business we receive a form with 9 columns from a customer.

The first 3 columns are filled out by the customer using their software. We need to fill out the middle 3 columns. Currently by hand with all the problems that can create.

I know how to create a form in Adobe Acrobat. Is there a way to create a form template or something to apply to the incoming form as received from our customer? Without having to individually Create Form for each page we receive. We can't create a blank form to re-enter what they send us and then enter our info, we can only enter our own info.

Attached is what I'm dealing with.

Thanks

TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is likely that the process you've described can be automated with a script. However, there are a lot of technical details involved that determine how, and if it can be done.  For example. What kind of thing are these incoming forms. Are the scanned paper documents? Automatically generated PDF reports? Do you need to extract the data on the form that comes in? or just add new information? 

If you want to just add new form fields to an existing PDF document, and those fields are always in exactly the same page locations, then this could be easily done using a script. Here's an article that will get you going in the right direction.

https://www.pdfscripting.com/public/PDF-Page-Coordinates.cfm

Another way to do this is with a "Page Template".  

You might want to consider hiering a professional to help you with this process. Let me know if you are interested

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The forms we get are automatically generated PDF reports so they always present the same. We don't need to extract any info, just add ours to it. They'll be exact until the form changes which likely won't happen anytime soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, there is a manual technique for this. Use one of the incoming forms as a sample template. Add the fields you need to it. Then when you have a new form, open both new form and the template in Acrobat, then copy the fields from the tempate onto the new form. 

A variation on this is to add the new form as the second page in the template, then use the "Duplicate Fields to pages" menu option.  

If it was me doing this I'd write an automation script. 

Here's the technique for creating a script to automatically add the fields. When you get it right you will be amazed at the results, because with one click it does what you want instantly. But this takes a bit of skill.

1)  Add fields manually to the form.  This is to capture the field locations. Make sure to give them simple and meaningful names. 

You'll find some good tips here:

https://www.pdfscripting.com/public/PDF-Form-Scripting.cfm

2) Write a script to capture the field coordinates and place them in an object, using the field names. 

Here's an article on field coordinates.

https://www.pdfscripting.com/public/PDF-Page-Coordinates.cfm

3) convert the field coordinate object to source code. This is now the first element in your automation scirpt.

4) Write the automation script. Loop over the field coordinate object to create and place the form fields.

You'll find some info on creating Acrobat Automation scripts here. 

https://www.pdfscripting.com/public/Automating-Acrobat.cfm

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I got the manual technique to work. I appreciate you help very much.

Thanks!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines