• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating a row of fields as needed with incrementing Names not working as planned

Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2020 Sep 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Creating a form that allows a user to track their sales. We set the initial row position with 7 fields in that row.

When they push a button, it should be able to create another row with the same fields, but the fields name should increment by 1 and that is failing.

Second issue is a dummy field is created to indicate the start position of the next row, it works for the second row but then fails there after. 

I'm sure there is a better way to do this, but my attempts at reading the documentation and implementing it is not working.

I've attached my code with some comments. 

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

//Inital row creation after user pushes a button

var g=this.getField("dummy"); // Does dummy exist already?

if ( g==null ) { // dummy doesn't exist, we will hardcode initial row placement

f = this.addField("Customer Name Entry", "text", this.pageNum, [5,660,165,645]);
 f = this.addField("Policy Number Entry", "text", this.pageNum, [175,660,265,645]);
 f = this.addField("Business Line Entry", "text", this.pageNum, [275,660,335,645]);
 f = this.addField("Premium Amount Entry", "text", this.pageNum, [345,660,400,645]);
 f = this.addField("Written Date Entry", "text", this.pageNum, [410,660,465,645]);
 f = this.addField("Issued Date Entry", "text", this.pageNum, [475,660,530,645]);
 f = this.addField("Commission Entry", "text", this.pageNum, [540,660,595,645]);
 f = this.addField("dummy", "text", this.pageNum, [5,640,165,625]);
 f.display = display.hidden;
}
else { //If dummy does exist, then this will be the next row below created.

var f = this.getField("dummy"); // lets get the rect for this field since it will indicate the start of the next row

var myRect = f.rect;
 var Y = 5; //we move this 5 pts down
 myRect[0] = f.rect[0];
 myRect[1] = f.rect[1]+Y;
 myRect[2] = f.rect[2];
 myRect[3] = f.rect[3]+Y;

this.removeField("dummy"); // We don't need this one anymore, remove it.

var i = 0;
 f = this.addField("Customer Name Entry " ++i, "text", this.pageNum, myRect); // Note Name field should increment by 1 each time  submit button is pressed, but it's not working like I thought. To save time, I've not created the following 6 fields in the same row. But those will need to be created as well.

var f = this.getField("Customer Name Entry " ++i); // we want the new rect for this field that was just created below the first row

var myRect = f.rect;
 var Y = 5; // we move it down 5 points
 myRect[0] = f.rect[0];
 myRect[1] = f.rect[1]+Y;
 myRect[2] = f.rect[2];
 myRect[3] = f.rect[3]+Y;

f = this.addField("dummy", "text", this.pageNum, myRect); // We add another dummy field to indicate the start of the next row  position.
}

TOPICS
Create PDFs , How to , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You use

var i = 0;

When you increment the i you will get always a 1.

Use a global variable or a hidden form text field.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wouldn't be easier to just make second row and use button to show/hide? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2020 Sep 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The amount of rows could be unknown. I currently mimic something like this in excel and the rows can range from 30-50, so I'm thinking creating them as needed keeps the file size low.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 20, 2020 Sep 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After declaring the i variable you need to use a loop to find out what is the latest set of fields that was created, and then add the next set after them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines