Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating Bullets in Text Fields

Nov 15, 2017 Nov 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My office has Adobe Acrobat Pro DC.  I have created a 3-page form that contains several text fields.  Some of these fields require entries in bullet format.

Other than cutting and pasting from MS Word, is there a way to:

1. Have text field default to bullet format
  2. Create bullets in a text field

I am finding a lot of forums on how to create bullets, but none of them are in a text field.

Thank you!

TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 15, 2017 Nov 15, 2017

Within PDF form field types there is no bullet point option.

You can use the <Alt> + <Numeric Keypad Keys>0149 to add a bullet point. Or you can cut and paste from the CharMap utility.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Within PDF form field types there is no bullet point option.

You can use the <Alt> + <Numeric Keypad Keys>0149 to add a bullet point. Or you can cut and paste from the CharMap utility.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what I feared.  Thank you, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One could also use a custom format script to add the bullet point and space in front of none null fields.

// custom format script to display bullet point in front of none empty field entry;

if(event.value != "") {

event.value = "\u2022 " + event.value;

}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 16, 2017 Nov 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is EXACTLY what I was looking for!  Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 09, 2018 Jan 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to make sure that the bulleted lists appear in a mult-line field? When I tried to preview it, the field would allow me to enter items on multiple lines, but when I tabbed to the next field, the bullet only showed up next to the first line.

Inputting information:

Screen Shot 2018-01-09 at 2.10.53 PM.png

After tabbing to next field:

Screen Shot 2018-01-09 at 2.11.42 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A bullet is just a character. So if it's entered, then it should stay where it's put. However, if you want all lines in a text field to have bullets automatically, then that is a different issue. To do this you'll need to use a Format Script on the field.

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great!

I don't know how to write scripts - would you be able to help me with this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is your luck day

if(event.value != "") {

event.value = event.value.split("\n").map(function(a){return "\u2022 " + a}).join("\n");

}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 10, 2018 Jan 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thom! I so appreciate all of your help with this.

Unfortunately, I found that I was still having the same issue with seeing a bullet only on the first line using this script also. Do you think that perhaps there are other settings that I need to be changing to make this work? The only other change that I've made is to make this a multi-line field.

Thanks again for all of your assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try using the "new line" control character, "\n", in place of the "return" control character, "\r".

Be aware that this solution will bullet point empty lines or lines consisting only of spaces.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I tried to plug in the "\n", it gave me a syntax error.

Screen Shot 2018-01-10 at 11.31.57 AM.png

Perhaps I'm misreading your comment?

So sorry for all of the basic questions. I'm so thankful for those of you who have the knowledge and are willing to help!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The error is because you did not include a "+" symbol after the "\n". 

However, this change won't fix anything. The code is correct the way it is, and the only setting you need on the field is for it to be multiline. 

Did you remove all previous code on this field?

Did you place this code in the Format Script?

It is possible that because you are on a Mac that the line ending character is not "\n", but rather "\r".  try this code, it handles both cases

if(event.value != "") {

event.value = event.value.split(/[\n\r]/g).map(function(a){return "\u2022 " + a}).join("\n");

}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue with Windows 10 and Acrobat Professional DC on 2 different computers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've only experienced this with external files, I've never seen Acrobat actually place a \r by itself as a line ending. Odd inconsistent behavior.  I bet there is a setting for this somewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've only experienced this with external files, I've never seen Acrobat actually place a \r by itself as a line ending. Odd inconsistent behavior.  I bet there is a setting for this somewhere.

As far as I can recall, it been that way from the beginning. It is different and platform dependent for dialog fields though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I plugged in the formula that you had given, it worked perfectly! Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A Helpful would help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2018 Jun 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, this post was a great help. So hopefully you can help further. I changed the bullets to a numeric list with this code:

var myVar = 0;

if(event.value != "") {

event.value = event.value.split(/[\n\r]/g).map(function(a){return (myVar = myVar + 1)+") " + a}).join("\n");

}

It works, but if someone is filling out the text field and tabs out then goes back in to add more, the numbers duplicate. Example

1) 1) Response

2) New response

Is their a way to go back into the list and add additional items without duplicating the numbered list?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 02, 2018 Jul 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, there are two different methods.

1) This is the easy one. Use the same code you have above with the Custom Format script. This script will modify what the user sees, not the actual text.

2) I don't know which event you are using, but lets assume it's the Validate script.  This script changes the actual text, so you'll need to change your map function to recognize and existing number prefix and do a "Replace"; Like this

event.value = event.value.split(/[\n\r]/g).map(function(a){return a.replace(/^(\d{1,2}\))?/, (myVar++)+")")};).join("\n");

I didn't check this for syntax errors. It's entirely possible that there is missing parentheses

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2019 Jan 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really sorry if I am completely being daft buy I just cannot make this work, I have a single page form with several form fields of which I need a single field to have bullets. Its the responsibilities fieldScreenshot 2019-01-02 at 10.49.34.png

Have copied the code but can't seem to make it work, where should I be putting the script?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 08, 2019 Jan 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What exactly is not working? And where is the script now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2019 Jan 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ive attached 2 screenshots

The bullets dont look like bullets and they only work because I have rich text turned on

I need the bullets to have the tabbing formatted correctlyScreenshot 2019-01-09 at 09.38.17.pngScreenshot 2019-01-09 at 09.38.58.pngScreenshot 2019-01-09 at 09.39.02.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 04, 2019 Feb 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scott, This should really be on another thread. The fact that it is marked as answered means it doesn't get looked at. If you are still having the issue, re-post it in a new thread.

Also look at this article/sample to find the kind of bullet you want.

https://acrobatusers.com/tutorials/using_unicode_text

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2023 Jul 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This really helped me thanks, you see how coding is important in different aspects of life

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines