Highlighted

Creating multiple Radio button groups or Fillable Text Boxes

New Here ,
Dec 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When preparing a Form-Fillable PDF I have forms with multiple Radio buttons as well as text boxes in a row. If you copy and paste these get duplicated in the same grouping. Is there a faster way to make duplicates of like radio buttons or fillable text boxes that you do not have to edit the Group name on individually? For example I have 20 questions on a page that are all Yes/No radio button answer options. I want to have 20 groupings of 2 item radio buttons of Yes and No options for each grouping.

Topics

Create PDFs, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Creating multiple Radio button groups or Fillable Text Boxes

New Here ,
Dec 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When preparing a Form-Fillable PDF I have forms with multiple Radio buttons as well as text boxes in a row. If you copy and paste these get duplicated in the same grouping. Is there a faster way to make duplicates of like radio buttons or fillable text boxes that you do not have to edit the Group name on individually? For example I have 20 questions on a page that are all Yes/No radio button answer options. I want to have 20 groupings of 2 item radio buttons of Yes and No options for each grouping.

Topics

Create PDFs, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
Dec 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Duplicating text fields is easy enough. In Form Edit mode, just right-click one of the fields and select Create Multiple Copies.

This command doesn't work with radio-button groups, though. For that you would need to use a script, like this one I've developed:

Custom-made Adobe Scripts: Acrobat -- Generate Radio Button Groups

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems there is no programmatic way to do it, but I accomplish the task in the following (manual) way:

1. Create one radio button, align it with my text as required
  2. Under FIELDS, give the new radio group a name
  3. Select the radio button and choose "create multiple copies" (for me, this was a row of radio buttons spaced apart evenly - a likert scale)
  4. Under FIELDS, rename each individual (newly-created) radio group same as the first one (in step 2). This will merge all of the buttons under one group.
  5. Under FIELDS > (Your Radio Group), rename the choices as required (they'll probably all have the same name)

This took an extra 1 minute, which is not bad!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Aug 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a programmatic way of doing it. See reply #1...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I was wrong stating that there is no programmatic way. To clarify, there seems to be a lack of a cost-free script that helps OP's problem. In the mean time, if anyone needs a manual method they can see my reply above.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add a single ungrouped Radio Button

Right click on the radio button and click on "Create Multiple Copies"

Decide selected number of fields down to copy and number of fields across to copy 

Decide the height and width for spacing of the fields (if the radio boxes are the same height and width across your sheet)

Select "Copy radio buttons to different groups"

Voila, you may have to move them manually depending on the spacing of your sheet but this allowed me to make 34 Yes or No radio boxes in seconds.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This unfortunately creates multiple groups both horizontally and vertically, so the buttons no longer function as radio buttons; you can select more than one button in a row.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i would recommend splitting it up and doing a single column first (ie input as many "yes" buttons as you need on that page in the vertical field and input "1" in the horizontal field). make sure the "copy radio buttons in different groups" option is checked for this part. select all of the buttons you just created and then right click and go back to the "create multiple copies" but this time input "1" in the vertical field and put "2" in the horizontal field if you have a "yes/no" option or 3 if you have a "yes/no/na" and so on. this time make sure the "copy radio buttons in different groups" is NOT selected. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Resources
One Stop Solution for Acrobat
Edit a PDF