Highlighted

Creating page numbers with decimals

New Here ,
Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, long story short I have been making a very large paginated file and right at the last minute, something needs to be added into the middle without changing the page numbers later on.

I know I could add in the pages then select the range to add the new numbers but is there a way to make the page numbers for the new pages I have added in the form of 39.1, 39.2, 39.2 etc so it won't affect the later on pagination??

Thanks

TOPICS
Create PDFs, Edit and convert PDFs, General troubleshooting, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Creating page numbers with decimals

New Here ,
Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, long story short I have been making a very large paginated file and right at the last minute, something needs to be added into the middle without changing the page numbers later on.

I know I could add in the pages then select the range to add the new numbers but is there a way to make the page numbers for the new pages I have added in the form of 39.1, 39.2, 39.2 etc so it won't affect the later on pagination??

Thanks

TOPICS
Create PDFs, Edit and convert PDFs, General troubleshooting, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 26, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Alex

We are sorry for the trouble. As described you want to insert new pages in the PDF file and wants to get them numbered in such a way that the older page numbering remains unchanged.

Are you trying to change the page numbers in the page thumbnail of the PDF file? If yes, we don't have the option for decimal points. However, we have the option for using alphabets (1a,1b,1c....) as shown in the screenshot below:

Untitled.png

If it is the case, please open the PDF file and go to page Thumbnails tab in the left hand pane  > Options > Insert page. After inserting the page in the thumbnail click on options > go to Page labels and select style as (a,b,c), prefix as (1), start as (1) as shown in the screenshots below:

Untitled.png    

Untitled.png

Let us know if you are referring to something else.

Regards

Amal

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 26, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amal,

Thank you for your response, unfortunately it's not quite what I'm looking for. I mean in regards to adding a page number through the edit --> add header and footer --> add page number function so the page number is stamped onto the actual page. Alphabets would also be helpful for this, just anything that means the latter stamped on page numbers don't change but I can still refer to the new pages in an index!

Thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 27, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

++ Adding to the discussion,

You may be able to achieve this with javascript . I think that if you're going to go this route that the method should involve a text field, for example ,  that would update itself with a new page number in the desired specified format.

See some examples in the following discussions.

Maybe you can implement something along those lines.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 27, 2020 0
try67 LATEST
Most Valuable Participant ,
Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do it using this (paid-for) script I've created, Advanced Add Header/Footer Text: http://try67.blogspot.com/2014/02/acrobatreader-advanced-add-headerfooter.html

You can set it to include static text (such as "39.") as well as a dynamic part (such as 1, 2, 3, etc.), including page range, appearance settings, etc.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 27, 2020 1