• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Distiller not working!...HELP! Need to make color separated pdf files.

New Here ,
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I am not tech savy like most people on this support community. 

I own a small print shop and do all the pre-press and usually make a ps file to do color separations then I use Adobe distiller to get color separated files to make plate for my offset press. 

Problem is just in the last 20 days or so, for no reason I can think of, I get an offending error when I drag my ps file to distiller.

I don't know if it's the ps file I make or distiller but not working and I really need it. I usually have an indesign file in which I make a pdf then in acrobat make a ps file then distiller to make it a pdf again and use the final separated pdf to make my plates.

Can anyone help me? Please and thank you!

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , General troubleshooting , How to , Print and prepress

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems like a very overly complex and convoluted workflow.

Why in the world do you need a “pre-separated PDF file” to make plates? I am not aware of any RIP from any reputable provider in the last 18 years of so that can't automatically do separations from a composite color PDF file and especially color-managed ones.

But assuming that you are stuck with a coal-powered steam-driven antique RIP that doesn't support what is known as in-RIP separations, why don't you either:

(1)  Print to your RIP with PostScript directly from InDesign using the Print=>Output=>Color Separations option 

or

(2)  Print to File with PostScript directly from InDesign using the Print=>Output=>Color Separations option and then distill that into preseparated PDF which you can then send to your RIP?

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for responding...

I do have a rip called Genie Jet for polyester plates that print on an Epson P800. I choose not to use the rip for most my simple jobs because it can take 10-20 mins. per color per plate. So, I discovered that I can use the same plate material in my Canon C710 in about 30 seconds but there is no rip so I must do the separations myself. Most of the plates I need are simple 1-2 color jobs or simple line art. If there is any trapping to tight registration I will still use my Genie rip.

I do all my layouts in Indesign and for some reason can not make a separated pdf from indesign as you indicate in your response. The Canon will only allow me to import or print a PDF file. So I am forced to output a PDF from Indesign then open the PDF and save as a PS separated file and at that point I would distill it to get a separated PDF file to print to my Canon.

Perhaps I don't have the correct PPD to make the separated file straight from Indesign? When I try to do as you suggested it seems to print but to a non-existant printer, see attached #1. Or it won't let me select separations as a PS file, see attached 2.

I am very willing to try anything you think may work for me. Thanks for your response and I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

1.jpg2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2024 Jan 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Having similiar issues, was this ever resolved?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines