• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

dividing large PDF. corrupt subdivision (but not all)

New Here ,
Apr 26, 2021 Apr 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work with companies to make their documentation (think manauls, service/tech bulletins etc..) easier to access/use by field service.  Very often I divide manuals (often over 10k pages!)..... usually without issue.  Currently I have a file (20K pages) that I can open in complete (large) form....but when I divide it, a couple of the smaller divisions won't open.  How do I tell what the problem is???? thank you

TOPICS
Create PDFs , Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll need to provide more specific information. Exactly how do you divide the document?

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, what does "won't open" mean, exactly? Is there an error message when you try to open those files? If so, what does it say? If not, what exactly happens?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I divided the document by "printing" page groups to pdf.  I have used this method many times..... with adobe as well as chrome and firefox.  Error box popped up and reads "There was an error opening this document.  The file is damaged and could not be repaired."

I'm confused because I can access those portions of the pdf when it is one giant manual..... it's after I divide a couple of the sections won't open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a very bad way of doing it. Why not simply use the Extract Pages command?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Print to > save as PDF (insert page range) has worked for me on hundreds of files.  Many of these files are 5K-20K+ page pdf files.  I do not have pay version of adobe.  There must be issue with that section of the manual as I have never encountered this issue before?  Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you put bookmarks on the pages where you need it divided,  then you could use the "Split" feature in Acrobat. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only have free version of Acrobat.  The manuals I am working with already have bookmarks.  I have worked with hundreds of these very large manuals and divided using method of printing as pdf.  Thank you for help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not expensive to get the full Acrobat Pro for a month to accomplish this task. It's well worth it to have the right tools for doing the job. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The point of posting here was to try and track down what was causing the issue, not simply purchase software. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't track down the issue with the tools you have, though. So either get the right tools or pay someone that has those tools (and the knowledge to do it) to do it for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The point is that whatever is causing the issue, it isn't Adobe software. Surely it's the PDF printer you are using, whatever that might be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've gotten the same issue splitting the PDF with Adobe software as well as others.  Surely questions that all end with buy new software the issue can't be Adobe is slightly less than enlightening.  Sorry I wasted anyones time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 06, 2021 May 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You mean the Free software. If I understand you correctly, you're complaining that you can't get something for nothing? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines