Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Document encryption not working

New Here ,
Jan 09, 2019 Jan 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

When we create a document which holds personal information and needs to be sent to a third party for signature, we have been encrypting it by setting a password. However the password doesn't seem to be working. In settings it says that the document is password protected but at no stage when you open or sign the document does it require a password. This is a real concern with GDPR, if anyone knows why this is please can you help?

Sometimes the password kicks in once the third party has signed the document, but we need to protect the document when it is sent to the third party in case we get compromised.

Thanks.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 09, 2019 Jan 09, 2019

Discussion successfully moved from Adobe Creative Cloud to Acrobat General Troubleshooting

Hi Sophie-Marie,

I suspect you want to use Acrobat. You can protect different stages of a document with passwords.

After signing a document, the document cannot be modified anymore without invalidating the signature. A signature is not meant to protect a document from opening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Which application are you using, I'd imagine it's Adobe Acrobat, if that is the case we can move it to the appropriate forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep it's Acrobat. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are two kinds of passwords you can apply to a PDF: One for opening it and one for editing it. It sounds like you only used the latter.

By the way, you should know that many PDF viewers don't respect these security policies, unfortunately, and will open a password-protected file even without the password...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Discussion successfully moved from Adobe Creative Cloud to Acrobat General Troubleshooting

Hi Sophie-Marie,

I suspect you want to use Acrobat. You can protect different stages of a document with passwords.

After signing a document, the document cannot be modified anymore without invalidating the signature. A signature is not meant to protect a document from opening.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem but I am unable to access this Password Security - Settings page. 

From the Secure tab, the drop down menu with Encrypt with Password (and Certificate) are grayed out. Same if I start at Advanced. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Finis, maybe you are using the free Acrobat Reader. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines