• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dropdown Calculations to Multiple Fields

New Here ,
Nov 20, 2018 Nov 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm creating the following timesheet.

Screen Shot 2018-11-20 at 4.16.30 PM.png

The LEAVE row is a dropdown menu with Vacation, Personal, Personal Full, and Holiday.  I am trying to total them in the correct box to the right.  So for example if someone chooses Vacation for Monday, Wednesday, & Friday, it would say 24 in the Vacation box on the right.

I can sum the leave fields: (export value = amount of hours for the selection.   For instance Vacation value=8)

var l1 = this.getField("SUNDAYLEAVE1").value;

var l2 = this.getField("MONDAYLEAVE1").value;

var l3 = this.getField("TUESDAYLEAVE1").value;

var l4 = this.getField("WEDNESDAYLEAVE1").value;

var l5 = this.getField("THURSDAYLEAVE1").value;

var l6 = this.getField("FRIDAYLEAVE1").value;

var l7 = this.getField("SATURDAYLEAVE1").value;

event.value = l1+l2+l3+l4+l5+l6+l7

And I can get get the value of a certain choice: (export value = just a different number to define the selection.  For instance Vacation export value = 4

var l1 = this.getField("SUNDAYLEAVE2").value;

if(l1 == "4")event.value = 8;

else {

event.value = "";

}

But, I can't figure out how to do both.  I'm not sure which approach to purse.  Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks

TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 21, 2018 Nov 21, 2018

In that case I think you should use "Holiday", "Vacation", etc. as the export values (or have no export values at all) and then hard-code the number of hours for each item into the code, like this:

if (this.getField(fields).valueAsString=="Holiday") total+=8;

Regarding the error messages: The first two are about incorrect field names. The last one is about an undefined variable.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So basically if a value was entered in SUNDAYLEAVE2 then you want to ignore the value in SUNDAYLEAVE1, but if no value is entered into it, you want to use the value of the latter in the sum?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think I explained this good enough.  Sorry.  SUNDAYLEAVE1 is the leave field in week 1 and SUNDAYLEAVE2 is in Week 2

It may help if I post a picture in edit mode:

Screen Shot 2018-11-20 at 5.45.32 PM.png

This is what is in the dropdown:

Personal = 4 hours of leave

Personal Full = 8 hours of leave

Vacation = 8 hours of leave

Holiday = 8 house of leave

So if the user in week 1 makes the follow selections:

Screen Shot 2018-11-20 at 5.47.17 PM.png

The form would total

12 in the "PERSONAL" field

32 in the "VACATION" field

8 in the "HOLIDAY" field

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In that case just multiply the drop-down field with the total field... The user will need to enter "1" under Holiday for it to work, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure I get what you're suggesting.  Let me try this another way...

The "HOLIDAY" field to the far right of the form is the total field for holiday hours for the week.

So the "HOLIDAY" field needs to look at "SUNDAYLEAVE1".  If holiday is chosen in the dropdown it would return 8 to the "HOLIDAY" field.  If anything else is chosen, it returns nothing to the "HOLIDAY" Field.  It then needs to look at the "MONDAYLEAVE1" field and apply the same logic and if necessary add the two results together. Then continue for the other week days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I see. But is "Holiday" the export value, or is "8"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried it both ways and I'm trying to figure out the best approach.  Have the export value as 8 certainly makes some other calculations on the form easier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, then you can use this code as the custom calculation script of the HOLIDAY field (just fill in the names of the rest of the fields in the first line):

var fields = ["SUNDAYLEAVE1", "MONDAYLEAVE1", ...];

var total=0;

for (var i in fields) {

if (this.getField(fields).valueAsString=="8") total+=8;

}

event.value = total;

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not getting a result.  Can you check my entry?

Screen Shot 2018-11-20 at 6.53.13 PM.png

Am I asking too much to request that you explain your code.  I'm trying to learn this stuff and you are using some stuff I haven't worked with. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It simply iterates over all the fields in the array, checking their value. If that value is "8" then it adds 8 to the total variable and at the end applies it to the field.

Is it not accepting the code at all? If it does, are there error messages in the JS Console (Ctrl+J) once you change the value of one of the fields?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok,  The problem with that is that Vacation, Personal Full, & Holiday all will have to have an export value of 8.  Therefore, it won't just return the HOLIDAY hours.

Here is what's in the Debugger

TypeError: this.getField(...) is null

5:Field:Calculate

TypeError: this.getField(...) is null

4:Field:Calculate

ReferenceError: selectedOption is not defined

2:Field:Calculate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 21, 2018 Nov 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In that case I think you should use "Holiday", "Vacation", etc. as the export values (or have no export values at all) and then hard-code the number of hours for each item into the code, like this:

if (this.getField(fields).valueAsString=="Holiday") total+=8;

Regarding the error messages: The first two are about incorrect field names. The last one is about an undefined variable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok,  I think that is going to do the trick!!  I will have to rethink how the form handles the totals without the export values, but I don't think that will be a problem.  Thanks so much for your time!!

In reference to the errors... It helps if you can spell Thursday lol.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personally, I always have a problem with Wednesday... 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha, I have to say it in my head. Wed - Nes - Day.

One more question.  On the Personal calculations it could be Personal = 4 hours or Personal Full = 8 hours.

I know I need the follow lines.  Would and If/else statement be appropriate for this?

if (this.getField(fields).valueAsString=="Personal") total+=4;

if (this.getField(fields).valueAsString=="Personal Full") total+=8;

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can add an "else" before the second line, but it doesn't matter much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines