• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dull Colors Exporting to Image Formats (PNG, JPG)

New Here ,
Aug 30, 2020 Aug 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My apologies if this has been successfully solved elsewhere. The best I could tell, my issue was presented here in 2012, but I have not yet come across a solution that fixes it, and that thread is now locked.

All I am trying to do is export some PDFs as images to manipulate for a video. However, it appears that some kind of color conversion is happening on export, forcing all of the colors to look dull. I cannot find any settings for .png or .jpg exports that would handle this, but I am seeing that when I change my color spaces for RGB or CMYK, the export colors vary slightly, implying that a conversion is happening. However, I don't really understand why a conversion to CMYK would be automatic and fully forced for computer-image exports, and I would like to bypass any conversions of this nature to maintain the colors that are being displayed on the screen in Acrobat.

I'm less concerned about this particular instance - I've already moved to taking a screen capture of the PDF for what I need. But for future situations, it would be really helpful to be able to maintain colors in what would seem to be a fairly rudimentary feature, as this has been an issue in larger projects as well.

See below for samples from the project I was working on. Left ones are the colors as displayed in Acrobat, right are after exporting. Final export format (.png vs .jpg) makes no difference.

In PDF (matching original image), pure magentaIn PDF (matching original image), pure magentaExported zoomed (pure magenta)Exported zoomed (pure magenta)
Full image, in PDF (matches original image)Full image, in PDF (matches original image)Full image, exportedFull image, exported

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 30, 2020 Aug 30, 2020

One thought: if you have Photoshop, it's generally much better at this job than Acrobat; more flexible, and more control over things like resolution and colour.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Aug 30, 2020 Aug 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thought: if you have Photoshop, it's generally much better at this job than Acrobat; more flexible, and more control over things like resolution and colour.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! It didn't even occur to me that Photoshop may be able to open PDFs. This works perfectly for what I've wanted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had the same problem with saving PDFs from illustrator and I went to OUTPUT when saving the PDF and set "Color Conversion" to "Convert to Destination" and it fixed the pdf colors. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines