Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

DWG to PDF (line weights & printing)

New Here ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Guys,

I have a pdf of a couple excerpts from DWG.  Sheet 1 is a print from AutoCAD using the Acrobat distiller printer and Sheet 2 is a direct import from dwg into Adobe Acrobat XI.  I have specified the path in the Adobe preferences to find the correct .ctb file that the drawing uses to plot.  You can see the obvious diefference between them.  Sheet 1 has weights, Sheet 2 seems to not have any weight associated with the lines.  The significance of Sheet 2 is that text is imported into a back layer and can be searched, Sheet 1 is a dumb vector version of the dwg file.  Sheet 1 prints beautifully, Sheet 2 prints like a trainwreck.  You have to specify in Advanced settings to 'Print as an Image' if you want sheet 2 to come out legible.  You can't tell so much on the cropped version but the full drawing detail is a mess when printing.

So my question is, How can I import the dwg and create a nice pdf that is searchable AND printable?  Could moving to Acrobat DC fix this?  Does anyone know what is actually happening in the backgroud to cause this difference between 

TOPICS
Create PDFs , Edit and convert PDFs , Print and prepress

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah yes, that's a tough one. Because the DWG uses a stick-type font, Acrobat views the line weight as essentially 0 pts. When I have drawings like this, I go to to Tools > Print Produciton > Line Weights, and I increase them a bit so they print better. But it seems that that settings ignores stick fonts.

Most of the engineers I work with have transitioned ot using a non-stick type font, like Arial or Myriad. Then it will be both printable and searchable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So distiller uses the .ctb file for line weights. Importing directly doesn't?  Is this by design?  Because in the preferences for importing dwg files, it asks to specify a path for the ctb files. It seems strange that they'd ask for this if their is no intention of using the pen weight files.  This must also be applicable to DC but I haven't tried. How do you get someone from Adobe to give their opinion so we can find out the exact issue? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Maybe Dov Isaacs can help. I don't know how to tag him, but maybe someone who sees this post knows how to reach out to him. He will know the answer.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/8364766

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines