• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Edit tags with the Tags panel - no Properties popup?

Explorer ,
Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was at htis page: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/editing-document-structure-content-tags.html

And read the section that follows to verify what I was trying to do was the right thing. My goal was changing the tag type as it was a part of a list and should read L > Li> Lbl and LBody not P.  It didn't work as #2 below never brought up a pop-up window at all. What's wrong? Is this a glitch? Thanks for any guidance. +Andrea

-----------

Edit tags with the Tags panel
You can edit a tag title, change a tag location, or change the tag type for an element. All page content must be tagged, marked as an artifact, or removed from the logical structure tree.
Edit a tag title
1. In the Tags panel, expand the section of the logical structure that you want to edit.

2. To edit the title, Select the tag, choose Properties from the options menu, enter text in the Title box, and click Close.

--------------

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , PDF forms , Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To confirm you are in the Tags panel when following these steps? View > Show/Hide > Navigation Panels > Tags to open the tag tree panel. Expand the tree until you find the tag you want to edit. Select that tag and either right-click and choose properties for it, or by way of the Options icon above the tag tree and choosing Properties from bottom of that list.

As I read you, you are able to see the Properties option, but nothing happens when clicking it? Or are you able to even see the Properties menu item as an option?

What version of Acrobat Pro are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it's an option and not greyed out (I'm on a Mac and holding down  Ctrl when I click to get the menu below:Screen Shot 2020-04-30 at 2.46.14 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, sorry, @ynwtf , I'm using Acrobat Pro DC.

Screen Shot 2020-04-30 at 2.56.12 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Weird. But yeah, you should see the popup Object Properties window (first pic). 

If you are confident in your tagging you might could try to change the tag itself as you would change a file name for a document in a folder. Be sure to save a BACKUP of your working PDF first, in case you accidentally break something! Clicking the text of the tag <P> should highlight the text of that tag to where you can edit it. Then manually retype the correct tag type (second pic).

No idea why you wouldn't be able to access the Object Properties though. Perhaps closing the app and (I hate to say it!) ....a reboot? 🙂 Really though, I have no idea. You seem to be doing everything correctly. Maybe a mac user or someone with more experience will chime in. Free bump until then!

ynwtf_0-1588283587561.png

ynwtf_1-1588283925612.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey thanks for the tip! I didn't know you could—didn't even think to try, doh!—going right into the tag itself and trying to retype over the p that was there. It held when I tried that. Where did you launch the Object Properties panel from, up above? It's different looking than the Properties that pops up now when I click+Ctrl on a tag from the panel . . . or is that how it looks in Windows??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Answered my own question - same popup but different look (for anyone consulting this string in the future):

Screen Shot 2020-04-30 at 3.40.18 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 01, 2020 May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just be careful doing it that way. It's very easy to get complacent, burning through tags, and accidentally misclicking one or typing an error in another and not realizing until you're testing with a screen reader. Also I believe they are case sensetive so be aware of that too. Might be wrong on that, but I'm thinking that's the case (*cough* pun *cough*).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG this is so whacked. I got frustrated and went to the Content panel to try and see if anything in that panel when I held down ctrl and clicked popped up the Properties menu and worked, but No, then the Reading Order panel, same process, No, then I opened up the Reading Order panel to the right to check something, and like 2 minutes after doing that, the Properties window decides to just rando-open. WTF? Back to the Tags panel, follow the CTRL+click, now it's opening everytime. HOW/WHY!? Sheesh . . . Thank you ynwtf for responding. Seems I'd better go do what I need to as who knows when it'll not work again. Oy, Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lol. If it helps, I've had context menu items completely disappear on me so I totally feel your frustration. Glad it appears to be working for you though. Good luck 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am a beginner, I find many of the posts from advanced users confusing. How do I edit existing tags or enter new ones? Am I using the right word or is keyword the preferred term?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines