• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Editing a PDF - Adobe Acrobat has encountered an unknown error.

Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2020 Jan 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When attempting to edit a PDF in Adobe Acrobat Pro DC, I get the error message 'Adobe Acrobat has encountered an unknown error'. This happens with 90% of my PDFs that I try to open and edit. I have seen a lot of work-arounds, but I am looking for a permanent solution that prevents this from happening. 

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Torialecia,

We are sorry for the trouble. As described, you are getting the error message: Adobe Acrobat has encountered an unknown error.

Please refer to the similar discussions below and see if that works for you

1. (https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat/adobe-acrobat-dc-has-encountered-an-unknown-error/td-p/899535...)

2. (https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat/adobe-acrobat-has-encountered-an-unknown-error-while-editing/...)

Let us know how it goes. 

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have read both of these discussions, and I haven't found a solution from them. I am not going to go through the hassle of saving each file as a PDF, then exporting as PDF, and then going to edit. There should be a solution to this issue that doesn't add extra steps each time i want to edit a PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We are sorry to hear that the issue still persists. What is is the version of the Adobe Acrobat DC installed and the OS?

Please make sure you have the latest version 19.21.20061 installed. Go to help > Check for Updates. You may also download the patch manually using the link: (https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/ReleaseNotesDC/index.html) and see if that works for you.

Also, please share the screenshot of the issue you are experiencing for a better understanding.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running the most current Adobe Acrobat DC. I have no updates to install. I am running it on Windows 10. 

The screenshot of the issue would say the exact same thing as I put in my original question. "Adobe Acrobat has encountered an unknown error".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 22, 2020 Jan 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Torialecia,

We are sorry to hear that the issue still persists. As you are using the latest version of Adobe Acrobat, would you mind sharing the PDF file which is causing the trouble for further testing? 

Please upload the file on the document cloud (https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/home/) generate the link and share the link with us. 

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2020 Jan 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Amal,

we are not able to add every type of image ( jpeg, tiff, png ) on every type of file pdf. The problem is not the pdf file. The problem is inside Adobe acrobat Pro Dc. I think there is a bug taht needs to be fixed from your side. As is see in the community this problem is widely diffused all over your clients/users. In my case the problem arise recently in the last 2 weeks. Before there was no problem. Maybe the last updates of Adobe Acrobat Pro Dc have generated this type of problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 24, 2020 Jan 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Contisrl,

We tried to reproduce the issue at our end and it's working fine. 

would you mind sharing the sample PDF file and the image which is causing the trouble so that we can further investigate and get this issue addressed?

Please upload the files on the document cloud (https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/home/) generate the link and share the link with us. 

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 07, 2020 Feb 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have just put two files :

https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/review?uri=urn%3Aaaid%3Ascds%3AUS%3Adf936b31-2212-4243-aed4-baa...

https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/track?uri=urn%3Aaaid%3Ascds%3AUS%3Aabc63c82-47bf-47f3-9230-c7b0...

try to add the image inside the pdf file that i have just shared with you.

I repeat you that every time i try to add any type of images i get ALWAYS the same error "unknown error".

Please check this issue. We do not like to pay the rent of your software suite if we still continue to have these problems without receiving a resolution from your side

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there 

Thanks for sharing the sample files. We tried to add the image to the PDF file that you have provided and its working fine. Please find the file here (https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/review?uri=urn%3Aaaid%3Ascds%3AUS%3Ab6adb8d4-d59a-40f6-aa52-946...)

As described earlier you have the latest version of the Adobe Acrobat DC. Make sure it's 19.21.20061. Go to Help > Check for Updates. You may also download the patch manually using the link https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/ReleaseNotesDC/index.html

If it still doesn't work, please create a new test user profile with full admin rights (Windows), enable the root account in Mac (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204012) and try using the application there and check. 

If it still doesn't work, please try the following steps

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2020 Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do they give you any solutions, I have the same problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2020 Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I still have no solution. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 03, 2020 Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All 

We are sorry to hear that the issue still persists. 

Please update the application to the new version available version 20.006.20034. Go to Help > Check for Updates.

You may also download the patch manually from the link (https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/ReleaseNotesDC/index.html)

You may also try to convert the JPG into the PDF and then try inserting them into the PDF you want.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2020 Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I have stated before, I have the most updated version. I have the 20.006.20034 version installed. I understand that Adobe believes converting to JPG and back into PDF is a solution to this issue, however, that is not a solution for me. I CANNOT waste time all day doing this with multiple PDFs. There needs to be a permanent solution for this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2020 Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amal,

i  confirm you that i have the latest 20.006.20034 version installed. I agree with Torialecia that we can not convert JPG into PDF. We (all the clients) pay to have a good product and to have a proper assistance.

We are not stupid and we do not like to receive always the same reply : have you installed the latest version ? ...

I have tried also to unistall the Adope ProDC with your software and then re-install the program BUT i still receive the same error message.

It is a clear that is a bug on your latest releases of your software. We are sure that you are enough smart and intelligent to solve quickly this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 09, 2020 Apr 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All 

We are sorry for the delay in response. 

We have a workaround for this problem. Hopefully, it will work in your scenario.

Print the PDF using "Adobe PDF". Edit this newly created PDF instead of the original one.

Steps:

1. Go to File -> Print. (Ctrl + P)

2. Select "Adobe PDF" as the printer.

3. Click Print. Save to any desired location when prompted.

4. Open the new PDF.

5. Edit.

Let me know if that helps.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am following this thread and I have tried all these options including your work around, same issues persist.  Is it possible an Antivirus issue since you don't see it as a Adobe problem like the rest of us?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

We are sorry to hear that the issue still exists.

Is this a behavior with a particular PDF file or with all the PDFs? Please try with a different PDF file and check. if its a file specific issue please share the file with us for testing.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2020 Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great , its working fine , beter than keep repeat multi steps ,

thanks Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2020 Aug 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<duplicate>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe ...

I too am having this same issue.  It worked on Thursday when I was at work, had Friday off and this morning (Monday) it doesn't work.  I have the latest version of the software according to your "Help / Check for updates" on the program.  I even ran the repair installation and that didn't help.

I followed the two previous threads and the solutions in there are of not help.

What is the solution?  I agree with all the others that flipping back and forth between jpgs and pdfs is NOT the answer.  We pay good money for this and it no longer works.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. It happens when I try to edit ANY PDF. I am fully updated to the latest version and tried the workaround. Nothing works. Any solution yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having exactly the same issue on Mac OS 10.15.5  Worked well until today. Other tools seem to work fine.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

We are sorry to hear that. please try to do 'Save As Adobe PDF' and sasave the file with a different name and see if that makes any difference.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi i have the same problem.

I tried at many PDF, option to add image (jpeg, png) just dosen't work

What i noticed when "Run as administartor" to option works correctly and without the problem.

In normal work is just not efficent to open each file as Admin, do you now solution for this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines