• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Editing a PDF - Adobe Acrobat has encountered an unknown error.

Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2020 Jan 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When attempting to edit a PDF in Adobe Acrobat Pro DC, I get the error message 'Adobe Acrobat has encountered an unknown error'. This happens with 90% of my PDFs that I try to open and edit. I have seen a lot of work-arounds, but I am looking for a permanent solution that prevents this from happening. 

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2020 Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All,

I am having the exact same issue.  Following this thread I have checked for updates and downloaded the latest from the link above even though the "check for updates" said that my PC had the latest version.  The only thing that is working for me is the "Print to adobe PDF" option which is extremely time consuming when I have to use this feature constantly.  

Adobe, you need to stop placing the blame on updates and your customer.  This is a process that needs debugging on your end.  Please fix this so we can get what we are paying for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 03, 2020 Jul 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

We are sorry for the trouble. To further investigate the issue would you mind sharing the version of the Adobe Acrobat/Reader DC you are using? Go to Help > About Adobe Acrobat /Reader DC

PLease try to turn off the protected mode for testing. Go to Edit (Windows), Adobe Acrobat/Reader DC (Mac) > preferences > Enhanced Security  > turn off the protected mode and uncheck the enhanced security > click ok

Note: Please turn on the security after testing.

Are you on a Mac or Wndows machine and what is the version of the OS

Please create a new test user profile with full admin rights or enable the root account in Mac and try using the application there and check.

Also please share some sample files so we can test it at our end . please upload the files to the document cloud https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/home/  , generate the link and share it with us.

If it still doesnt work, please collect the procmon logs https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon as describesd and shre them for investigation. download the process monitor tool and run the application then try to reproduce the issue in Acrobat and collect the logs.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After complaints from so many users, all Adobe says is "it works fine on our side". Does it mean as long as it works on Adobe's side it does not matter if it works on the users' side? Everything was working fine until the app was updated. Could you just let us download the old version again until you have the bug fixed?????????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2020 Aug 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We had the same problem here. Fortunately we had one working environment. Comparing regkeys showed a difference in a language-key: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat\DC\Language\UseMUI]

In our case bUseMUI was set to 00000001. Changing it to 00000000 was the solution.

The regkey should be as followed:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat\DC\Language\UseMUI]
"bUseMUI"=dword:00000000

You can also change it at preferences: Preferences, Language, Application Language: set to English

This issue was probably caused during updating from DC15 (Dutch version) to DC20 (English version).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this issue as well. I am a billing administrator for a law firm and we use an ancient but reliable program called RTG to generate our invoices using different formats.  Adobe allows me to edit one format (Arial 12pt) but not another (Courier New 12pt.) Because the only tangible difference between the formats (that I can tell, any way) is the font, I wonder if it is an issue with fonts? Amal, I would like to send you two different PDFs.

I am using Adobe Acrobat XI Pro, version 11.0.23 installed by our IT administrator.  There are no updates for this, and I do not have the option to request a different version. Ergo, please don't reply with steps to update my version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2020 Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here, any workable solution yet besides update and print to pdf? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2021 Feb 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2021 Jun 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Print --> Adobe PDF --> Save document. Now you can edit your PDF

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2021 Jun 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You must not read the thread before commenting. This isn't the solution we are looking for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2024 Apr 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please provide an update on the "permanent solution" for this issue? Despite it being 2024, the problem persists. Previously, I was able to utilize this feature without complications; however, I've recently encountered an unspecified error. Given the substantial fees associated with this service, I am concerned and would like to understand the reasons behind this error and what measures are being taken to resolve it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 17, 2024 Apr 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there

Hope you are doing well and thanks for reaching out.

Please go through  all the correct answers marked in the similar discussion https://adobe.ly/3vN1qXL and see if that works for you.

~Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines