• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Editing PDF

Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2019 Jan 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I printed a Word doc to a PDF and now want to make one small change in the document (I want to change the date from January 17 to January 18). When I click the edit PDF button, my screen shows the bounding boxes of the text. When I actually click in the box and delete the "7", all of the text in the box moves and messes up the formatting. There is no reason for this to happen and I am wondering if there is a way to prevent this in the future. Dealing with the same thing, sometimes there are underlined words in the document also. These lines don't move with the words and seem to appear as an image and not text. The only way to select these images is to move the text box away from the line and then I can select it and move it. In the old Adobe, I used to be able to click the "Ctrl" button and it would allow me to select the line to move it. This does not work in DC. Is there a way to change this or a different way to select these images? Thanks for the help.

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 17, 2019 Jan 17, 2019

You should not be doing these edits in Acrobat. Go back to the original Word file, edit it and then create a new PDF file from the edited version.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should not be doing these edits in Acrobat. Go back to the original Word file, edit it and then create a new PDF file from the edited version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not usually practical. I understand it is best to edit the Word file directly, but I am adding other documents and things to these PDF files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't matter. Create a new version of those pages and then use the Replace Pages command to insert them.

The rest of the file will remain intact.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I understand what you're saying, but this is still not a practical application. With the previous version, this did not happen with such a simple one character change. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I'm afraid there's nothing you (or I) can do about how the application works in this way... You just have to make do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't you love it when Adobe comes out with a new "improved" version and you can't do something really simple that you could easily do in the old version!

I still miss the floating pallet for text properties that hasn't been in Acrobat since around version 7. Newer version require you to first select the text, then right-click, select properties, etc for each text block you need to change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not really. Press Ctrl+E and this floating toolbar will appear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2021 Jan 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried Ctrl+E in Acrobat X from CS6 and the properties box does come up with 'no current selection' when I highlighted some text with the touch-up text tool. I would post the screen shot showing this along with the 'touchup properties' box where you can actually change the text properties but it requires a URL rather than a simple upload in this messge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike_z, the discussion was about the current version, Acrobat DC. In Acrobat DC the editing was radically redesigned from scratch, for better or worse, so none of this applies to your ancient (but still excellent) version. By the way you can upload screen shots using the "picture" icon and a local file. You can't, sadly, paste a picture into a post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you can always go back to the source doc, a word document, and fix an error and create a new PDF. But Adobe DC is always crowing about their editing capabilities, so why not use them?  I sometimes have an error I see after the PDF is made, and go in and fix it using the DC Edit tool-- the cursor blinks on the text line and I fix the text error. If your DC doesn't act like this, that's the issue. If the PDF has security, using the Edit tool will prompt you for the edit password. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I agree. Frequently, I get PDFs from someone else and I do not have access to the source file. But yet I have to make them compliant and occassionally do lite edits (like punctuation) because the source file owner is not a writer and doesn't use plain language, etc. But...useing the EDIT function destroys all of my perfectly compliant TAGs.

WHY does Adobe have the "edit" function if we can't use it without destroying all the compliant tags that we have in place?

Adobe should FIX the EDIT function.

Mary Helen Shuff | Art Director & Senior Graphic Designer | 508-Compliancy Coordinator | Forms Coordinator | Printing Liaison

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines