• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

embedded fonts not working in editing mode - defaults to Geneva

Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2020 Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, I HAVE activated the font I am using (Adobe Garamond Pro Reg), I have embedded it, I have used preflight to 'fix potential font problems', I have edited the default settings to make the font I want to edit the default editing font, I am connected to Creative Cloud, the font displays correctly: AS SOON AS I highlight the word I need to change and select Abobe Garamond Pro before editing, the text changes to Geneva font. The AGPR font even registers as Geneva when highlighted. *I know that PDFs aren't for editing and that that is better done in Word or the source software, but I have never had this issue before. And they are minor changes I want to make. Like deleting an 's' etc. Even doing that changes the whole word to Geneva.

I've uninstalled, reinstalled twice. I have the font installed locally.

Any ideas? Thank you. 

TOPICS
Crash or freeze , Edit and convert PDFs , General troubleshooting , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 25, 2020 Jun 25, 2020

These are just guesses, but try turning on the preference "use local fonts" (Preferences> Page display). If that doesn't help, try saving your PDF as PDF/X-1a, File> Save as other> PDF/X-1a. In my experience, doing this will sometimes fix odd issues like this. If it's still not working, and you are using a Mac, try clearing your font cache, there are several ways to do this, so do a google search and find a method you are comfortable with. If it's still not working,  place the PDF into an InDesi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are just guesses, but try turning on the preference "use local fonts" (Preferences> Page display). If that doesn't help, try saving your PDF as PDF/X-1a, File> Save as other> PDF/X-1a. In my experience, doing this will sometimes fix odd issues like this. If it's still not working, and you are using a Mac, try clearing your font cache, there are several ways to do this, so do a google search and find a method you are comfortable with. If it's still not working,  place the PDF into an InDesign file and export to a new PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate that thank you. I'll try. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, which program are you working in? Adobe InDesign or Adobe Acrobat?

Quote: "I have used preflight to 'fix potential font problems' "

In which program did you run Preflight, Acrobat or InDesign?

Just making sure:

• When you exported the file to PDF from the source file, did you check the option to Embed Fonts: subset if less than 100% ?
  • Is your version of Adobe Garamond Pro a "stand-alone" font, or an activated one via Adobe Fonts/TypeKit in InDesign?

Try embedding the fonts into the PDF with Acrobat's Standards/Preflight tool.
Follow the instructions in this post:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat/scrambled-text-when-viewing-pdf-documents-in-acrobat-standard...

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was in Acrobat.

The font is downloaded to my Mac AND activated via Adobe fonts (I bought it too to see if that helped, which it hasn't).

I have embedded the font using prefilght.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad that trick worked for you.

You'll probably need it again in the future, so bookmark this page.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Nothing has worked for me. I was answering your questions.

I still can't use or edit the font that I need to. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines