• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Embedded Index Issue, Help Needed. Have tried a couple things already

New Here ,
Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently, with the December 2018 release of acrobat, embedded indexes are no longer used for search.

I have no idea why this change was made but I have an important use case involving the use of embedded indexes for some giant PDFs.

i tried to follow the instructions here to reenable on macOS Steps to enable the embedded index in a PDF for searching? 

but I haven't had any luck. the existing FeatureLockDown.plist is something i couldn't seem to open as a plist for editing, and when I tried making a new plist and adding the key in the instructions using the xcode property list editor, it seemed to have no effect.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 16, 2019 Jan 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi justinceo1,

As per the issue description mentioned above, you are facing issue with embedded index in acrobat, is that correct?

Try rebooting machine once if you haven't already and check if that resolves the issue.

Also, let us know dot version of Acrobat and mac os version installed on the machine? You may refer to the steps given in this link on how to check the version in Acrobat: Identify the product and its version for Acrobat and Reader DC

Let us know if you need any help.

Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2019 Jan 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Shivam,

acrobat version is 2019.010.20069

mac OS 10.14

and this doesn't really answer my question, sorry. rebooting doesn't help.

i have an embedded index that was working fine, but then a recent acrobat update turned off the use of embedded indexes for search. i found the adobe support document i linked above, but could not manage to re-enable the use of embedded indexes for search for the reasons i described above.

thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 18, 2019 Jan 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi justinceo1​,

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Could you please share your Featurelockdown plist that you are trying to edit.

Email id: sancjain@adobe.com

Thanks

Sanchi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2019 Jan 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Sanchi, I emailed you. thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2019 May 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I explained in a reply on the other thread Embedded Index not working how I got it to work by creating in /Library/Preferences both com.adobe.Acrobat.Pro.plist and com.adobe.Reader.plist files containing the necessary bToggleUseEmbeddedIndex key (rather than a FeatureLockDown.plist file, which didn't work for me).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have just downloaded adobe acrobat PRO DC and I am having this same issue with it not using the embedded index. I tried adding the registry setting "bToggleUseEmbeddedIndex" but that is not working. Were you able to resolve this issue? ANy help would be greatly appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2020 Oct 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since you write "registry settings" I assume you mean Windows. The Adobe instructions for using Windows regedit appear to be incorrect (https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/enable-embedded-index-to-search-pdf.html)

Don't create a key, what worked for me is go to the referenced

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat\DC\FeatureLockDown

create instead a new DWORD named bToggleUseEmbeddedIndex and change the value to 1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have tried every instruction and spent five days of communications with Adobe.  If finally received a class.  The embedded index in the current version of Acrobat Pro DC does not work and the company just has not bothered to change its program. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines