Embedded video in a PDF file won’t play in adobe reader.

New Here ,
Mar 20, 2021 Mar 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I embed a MP4 video in a PDF file, it plays nicely on Adobe Acrobat Pro, but not on Adobe Reader. (Both are the most recent edition, and run on Windows 10 Pro.) On reader, just the audio of the MP4 plays, but the image doesn’t show.

(I really don’t understand how Adobe add a feature to it’s PDF format that would be great if it worked, but turns out completely worthless since its own viewer can’t handle it.)

Does anyone know a solution or workaround?

TOPICS
Rich media and 3D

Views

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sérgio

Hope you are doing well and sorry for the trouble.  As described you are unable to play the video in Acrobat Reader DC application but the same video plays well in Acrobat DC.

Do you get any error message when you try to open the video in Acrobat Reader DC application? If yes, please share the screenshot of the same for a better understanding.

Please try to turn off the protected mode for testing (Win Only) and see if that helps. Go to Edit > Preference> Enhanced Security > uncheck 'Enable protected mode at startup' Turn off the protected mode and uncheck 'Enhanced Security' > Click OK and reboot the computer

Note: Please turn on the security after testing to avoid security risks.

Also, please check out the troubleshooting steps provided in the help page: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/playing-video-audio-multimedia-formats.html and see if that works

Regards

Amal

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Amal.

There’s no error message at all. Adobe Reader simply treats the video file as an audio file.

I did what you suggested. It was worse: Reader just crashed when I tried to play the video.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

We are sorry to hear that. Please try to repair the installation and reboot the computer once. Go to Help > Repair Installation. 

Also make sure you have the latest version 21.01.20145 installed. Go to Help > Check for updates and reboot the computer. 

Also, please share the pdf file with us so that we can check it at our end.

Upload the file to document cloud, generate the link and share that link with us. 

Regards

Amal

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are sorry to hear that. Please try to repair the installation and reboot the computer once.

I did it, to no avail.

Also make sure you have the latest version 21.01.20145 installed.

Yes, that’s the version.

Also, please share the pdf file with us so that we can check it at our end.

Upload the file to document cloud, generate the link and share that link with us. 

Here it is:

https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/review?uri=urn:aaid:scds:US:5f69c807-33c5-4e8c-9b10-f6501838a2f...

Thanks for your attention.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 28, 2021 Mar 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing the PDF file. I have tried to reproduce the issue on my end and opened the PDF file with Acrobat Reader DC and the video is playing fine.

Please try the following preference settings and see if that help:

Go to Edit (Windows), Adobe Acrobat (Mac) > Preferences > 3D and Multimedia Select 'Enable playing of 3D and multimedia content.' Also , go to Trust Manager under preferences and select Allow opening of non PDF file attachments with external applications > Click OK and reboot the application and check.

Regards

Amal

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please try the following preference settings and see if that help:

Go to Edit (Windows), Adobe Acrobat (Mac) > Preferences > 3D and Multimedia Select 'Enable playing of 3D and multimedia content.' Also , go to Trust Manager under preferences and select Allow opening of non PDF file attachments with external applications > Click OK and reboot the application and check.

I was using this exact settings already.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines