• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Embedding fonts causing trim size to change....

New Here ,
Aug 08, 2020 Aug 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Adobe PDF Print function/Properties to embed fonts in the PDF file since the publishing company I am working with demands it. The original file is 6x9. After I embed fonts, the size changes to 6.38x9.01, which is unacceptable to the publishing company and kicks it out with an "invalid trim size" error.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?

Thanks,

Mike

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , General troubleshooting , Print and prepress

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Aug 08, 2020 Aug 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you creating a new PDF file from an application or are you trying to embed fonts into an existing PDF file.

When you say that the trim box changes, it seems to imply that you are creating a new PDF file from an existing PDF file by printing from Acrobat. That is a process known in the industry as “refrying a PDF file” and typically causes more damage that anything those who advocate this particular hack may possibly gain.

If you have a PDF file that needs to have fonts embedded that currently aren't embedded, assuming you have Acrobat Pro, you can use the Acrobat Preflight fixup function to Embed all fonts to perform this function. Of course, those fonts must be installed on your system.

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2020 Aug 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am, I guess, "refrying". I didnt know there was an issues with that. I
had to use that technique to move the text to the left on left pages ad to
the right on right pages to allow gutter space. This seemed to work well

The web system (Lulu) I am trying to use complains that fonts are not
embedded in the PDF file I am trying to upload, in spite of the fact that
the very same PDF file uploads fine to KDP/Amazon.

I am using Adobe 2017 to Print to Adobe PDF. Then I click Properties, Edit
Default Settings, Fonts, and copy all fonts in the Font Source window to
the Always Embed window, click OK twice, then Print. The resulting PDF
file, which shows as 6.0 x9.0in in the beginning shows 6.38x9.01 afterward.

Any idea why this would happen? I used this method before with no issues.

I have to use Adobe PDF because I have no source files, only the PDF file.
It's a long story, but the author used a print company who changed all his
Word docs to InDesign, then made changes only to the InDesign files,
obsoleting the Word file. All they can supply him now is a PDF file. They
would supply InDesign files, but it is not a product I have so I can't help
him with minor changes that way.

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the Preflight worked well for me to embed the fonts, but only for the
black and white version of the book. The colour version went all strange
when I embedded the fonts - title with random upper and lower cases and
strange squares all over the place.

Any advice on that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the “colour version went all strange” it would be indicative of a faulty PDF file to start with.

If the “author” is providing PDF files to you that were exported from InDesign, those PDF files should already have the fonts embedded. In fact, it is very difficult to export PDF from InDesign without embedding the fonts. Perhaps if you could post one of these file (prior to embedding the fonts via Preflight), we might be better able to diagnose what's going on.

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I attach a file? I see only a URL link function.

It's 377 pages. I can provide you with one page - the original and the result. Will that work?

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Okay - I think I solved the issue. I split the file in half, ran Preflight on both halves to embed fonts, then combined them again into one file. That worked. Must be related to file size. The book is 377 pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you must edit the PDF in Acrobat, you can go to Tools> Edit PDF> Select all> and drag everything to the right or left. You can turn on the rulers and guides to help keep the changes consistent page to page. A much better way would be to download a free trial of InDesign, although there is a steep learning curve. I would ask for a packaged InDesign file and make the changes there, then export to a new PDF. If you can only get a PDF (make sure it's a high-res print PDF and not a low-res proof PDF), place the PDF into a new InDesign file, make the position adjustments and export to a new PDF. You might consider finding an InDesign user who is willing to do the work for you for a small fee. You can check the original PDF for properly embedded fonts in Acrobat- File> Properties> Fonts they should all say embedded or embedded subset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines