• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error merge/combine files ( one is a signed pdf )

Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2019 Sep 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ,

I am trying to combine three files with different characteristics in a single pdf file. One is a simple pdf. Another is a signed and blocked pdf. And the last one is a tiff file.

Its the screen ( in spanish ) with the initial information.

clipboard_image_1.png

I observe the warning that "digital signatures will be removed during the merge process" :

clipboard_image_2.png

After clicking on "merge files" I get the following error message (error during processing - (skipped file)) associated with the file that was signed :

clipboard_image_4.png

How can I solve the problem and combine these three types of files?

Thank tou very much for your anwers.

TOPICS
Create PDFs , Edit and convert PDFs , Security digital signatures and esignatures

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Sep 25, 2019 Sep 25, 2019

A signed PDF cannot be modied without invalidating the signature. If you signed the PDF then you could remove the signature. If you cannot remove the signature, you can combine the PDFs into a Portfolio. Note that not all PDF viewers can open a PDF Portfolio.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A signed PDF cannot be modied without invalidating the signature. If you signed the PDF then you could remove the signature. If you cannot remove the signature, you can combine the PDFs into a Portfolio. Note that not all PDF viewers can open a PDF Portfolio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2019 Sep 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank very much for your answer . but, How to create a PDF Portafolio ? . After looking for how to create I think I need to use the Acrobat Pro. There are any other to create a Portafolio. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There,

Thanks for reaching out. As described above you are getting the error while combining the signed PDF, correct?

If a PDF is signed using a digital ID or certificate, it's locked to prevent changes to the document. Generally, the PDF is locked for editing. If you're the only one signer, you can remove the signature and then work on the document or edit the source document.

To remove your signature, right-click the signature and then choose Clear Signature.

clipboard_image_0.png

If you got a signed PDF, you can request the signer to remove the signature and share the PDF or send an unsigned copy of the PDF.

I hope this will help

Regards,

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2019 Sep 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer. I know this but I need to bind many ( more thant 400 ) signed pdf to print in batch as only it is one pf. I dont like to madify any , just to proccess many pdf ( signed or nor ) with also many tiff file and print all of together.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 01, 2019 Oct 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot combine signed files just because it is a time saver. Combining files is editing them, absolutely. But you can make a portfolio, by changing Settings (gear icon) in the Combine Files dialog. How well it prints you'll need to see. If you send it somewhere else for printing, I cannot recommend portfolios.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Open the signed pdf in Adobe.
  2. Open print dialogue (Ctrl+p)
  3. Change the printer to "Microsoft Print to PDF" then print.
  4. The newly created PDF will have the signatures and will behave as a normal pdf for combine/merge activities.

Screenshot 2021-01-15 150132.png

Note: This approach converts a signed document to a standard pdf. The result displays the signature information but the underlying digital signature is lost. In my case the original signers understand the distinction.

Creating a summary file is my goal. I combine a variety of digitally signed, along with other related, documentation into a single summary pdf. The original, digitally signed documents, are stored for future reference. I am increasingly convinced that it is not possible to combine digitally signed documents into a single, summary pdf, while maintaining the underlying digital signatures.

Users needing summary packets will benefit from my suggested approach. Keep in mind that my my approach remains "legally valid" to the extent that the original digitally signed documents are available on demand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Keep in mind that my my approach remains "legally valid" to the extent that the original digitally signed documents are available on demand.

I would not be giving legal advice like that. It's certainly only not the case in many places, and I doubt it's where you are... Consult your lawyers before assuming it is!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines