• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error Message

New Here ,
Mar 12, 2020 Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everytime I download a file to Adobe Acrobat, I get the following message, "There was an error opening this document.  This file is already open or in use by another application."  Neither of these are true.  I've tried on many files.  I've also uninstalled and re-installed Adobe Acrobat, but got the same message.  Any suggestions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Mar 20, 2020 Mar 20, 2020

This did not help.  However, I can get the PDF file to open by clicking on the download arrow at the top right of the page. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 13, 2020 Mar 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David,

We are sorry for the trouble. Is this a behavior with a particular PDF file or with all the PDFs you try to open? Please try to open a different PDF file and check. 

Are you trying to open the PDF from a shared network drive or from your computer? Please try to download the file to your computer locally and then try to open it with Acrobat / Reader DC.

What is the version of the Acrobat / Reader DC you are using? To check the version of the application please use the link (https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/identify-product-version.html)
Make sure you have the latest version 20.006.20034 installed. Go to Help > Check for updates.

Also, please try to whitelist the folder and the PDF in Acrobat. Go to  Edit  (Windows), Adobe Acrobat / Reader DC (Mac) >  Preferences > Enhanced security > Add File and Add Folder path. 

also for testing please try to turn off the security. Go to  Edit  (Windows), Adobe Acrobat / Reader DC (Mac) >  Preferences > Enhanced security > Turn off the Protected mode and uncheck the enhanced security > Click OK and reboot the computer and check.
Note: Please turn on the security after testing.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2020 Mar 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This did not help.  However, I can get the PDF file to open by clicking on the download arrow at the top right of the page. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 22, 2020 Mar 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there 

We are glad to hear that the issue got resolved.

Feel free to contact us for any further assistance required in the future.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2020 Jul 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Acrobat team, that does not sound like a solution but rather a compromise. It will open the file, but very annoying and should not be left unresolved by a reputable software like Acrobat, especially not while we are paying for $20+ per month for the subscription fee. Please provide us with a solution and make this topic as "Unresolved".

By the way, this situation happens in Firefox and IE too. Big inconvenience factor!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2020 Aug 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are glad the issue was resolved? How incompetant are you? It obviously wasn't resolved but you still marked it as resovled. I'm having the same problem as many others. What an embarrassment to Adobe but I guess this is really how they are.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2020 Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been happening to me also for about a month.  The same error appears anytime APDC is closed and I download a file from chrome. It is rather frustrating. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2020 Aug 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the SAME problem and it's really frustrating me.  There has to be a solution besides telling us that downloading solves it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2020 Jun 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got exactly the same error.  It is only on my newest laptop, and with all pdf files that I try to open from downloading.

With other computers, after clicking on the file in chrome, it would download and open in Adobe Reader.  Now, it will still download, but give the error in Reader.  I then have to navigate to my downloads folder and open it from there.  Please help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2020 Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have the same issue.  Seems to be an issue with Chrome only.  Still something they need to fix because Chrome is the most commonly used browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2020 Aug 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this problem and I use Firefox so it is not a Chrome issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this issue, too. I'm using the latest version of Adobe Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2020 Aug 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see others have asked about this issue and one of them has even been marked as "resolved" eventhough it wasn't resolved. When I download a pdf file, adobe software gives this error "There was an error opening this document.  This file is already open or in use by another application."

I either have to try several times till it finally opens(most times it takes 2 tries, sometimes way more) or go to downloads and open it from there. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Aryanb

We are sorry for the delay in response and to hear that the issue still persists.

A new version of Adobe Acrobat/Reader DC is now available version 20.12.20041. PLease try to update the application to the new version from the Help menu > Check for Updates and see if that makes any difference. 

Please reboot the computer once after installing the new version.

If it still doesn't work, please try to repair the installation (For Windows Only) and check.

If it still doesn't work, please download the process monitor tool (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon) , run the procmon tool and recreate the issue to collect the logs and share the logd with us for further testing.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Amal,

I have the same problem as Aryanb and am using Windows 10 with both Foxfire and Chrome. Windows, browsers and Acrobat X Pro have the latest versions. Acrobat installation repair didn't work after restart and the link given above leads to 404 error.

Can you supply more information on how to fix this problem? Many thanks.

Julie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Julie

Hope you are doing well and sorry for the trouble. Would you mind sharing the workflow/steps you are doing to open the PDF file?

Please try to download and save the file to your computer first and then open it with Adobe Acrobat and check

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Amal,

Here is a screencast of the problem. This error happens often and sometimes when I'm trying to open a file I've saved. https://www.screencast.com/t/rOznWR0Rr3

Julie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 28, 2021 Mar 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Julie,

Thanks for sharing the video recording of the issue. Do you have any security software or Add on running on your system that might be causing the issue? If yes, please try to turn off the security software/Add on for testing purpose and see if that helps.

Note: Please turn on the security after testing to avoid any security risks.

Please check out the correct answer marked in a similar discussion https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat/acrobat-pro-dc-there-was-an-error-opening-this-document-the-f... and see if that helps.

Thanks

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I disabled security and tried again. Security was not the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2021 Oct 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More than one year later the same problem persists. When downloading a pdf document from an internet site my browser asks me whether I want open the document with Adobe Pro DC or save the document. Of course, I could save and open the document subsequently, but this is just bypassing the problem. I find it disapointing that this problem is not being fixed by Adobe; considering the high costs for the Adobe subscription, this should have been fixed a while ago....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 11, 2021 Oct 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there

We are sorry to hear that. Web browsers use their own PDF mechanism to render and display the PDF content and they are not Adobe dependant. It is always recommended to download the PDF to the computer first and then open it with Acrobat /Reader DC.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines