Highlighted

Error when loading documents in Adobe Acrobat DC - There was a problem reading this document (131)

New Here ,
Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work in IT as a tech for a small-medium sized company that utilizes two main forms of PDF reader - Adobe Acrobat DC and Nuance Power PDF. Accounting will frequently make edits to a PDF file in Nuance and forward that PDF to other users to highlight missing information, such as invoice numbers or payment receipts. In some of those documents, users cannot open them in Adobe Acrobat DC (20.013.20064) but they CAN for other readers, such as Nuance, but the document also opens with no issue in web browsers (specifically Google Chrome and Firefox).

I came across this particular KB article from Adobe's site and would like some light shown on this issue. The actual link it provides for the fix goes to a 404 page. The fix is described as disabling the "Full Save option in the ReaderExtensions tool, and apply the rights again". I'm not entirely sure as to where I'd find that option.

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/error-problem-reading-document-131.html

I have already performed standard troubleshooting before reaching out to support, which includes a full repair of Adobe Acrobat DC as well as an uninstall/reinstall with no luck. I have also attached an example file that affects the users. If there is anything else I can provide for this request, please let me know.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Error when loading documents in Adobe Acrobat DC - There was a problem reading this document (131)

New Here ,
Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work in IT as a tech for a small-medium sized company that utilizes two main forms of PDF reader - Adobe Acrobat DC and Nuance Power PDF. Accounting will frequently make edits to a PDF file in Nuance and forward that PDF to other users to highlight missing information, such as invoice numbers or payment receipts. In some of those documents, users cannot open them in Adobe Acrobat DC (20.013.20064) but they CAN for other readers, such as Nuance, but the document also opens with no issue in web browsers (specifically Google Chrome and Firefox).

I came across this particular KB article from Adobe's site and would like some light shown on this issue. The actual link it provides for the fix goes to a 404 page. The fix is described as disabling the "Full Save option in the ReaderExtensions tool, and apply the rights again". I'm not entirely sure as to where I'd find that option.

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/error-problem-reading-document-131.html

I have already performed standard troubleshooting before reaching out to support, which includes a full repair of Adobe Acrobat DC as well as an uninstall/reinstall with no luck. I have also attached an example file that affects the users. If there is anything else I can provide for this request, please let me know.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 06, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I did an Accessibility check to your file and this is what came back in the report (sorry about the fuzzy image but I was trying to get all the table):

error131.png

Looks like you have a document that was produced as a PDF from a scanning device or scanning software. When the file was converted to PDF in Acrobat it has all images layered now behind each other and renderable text.  That is why you see all the failed checks in the Accessibility report. 

Yuo won't see these errors in a web browser , for example, because those are PDF viewers not PDF editors (like Adobe Acrobat). So I assume that when the  document is opened with another 3rd party PDF viewer or an web browser, it is  displayed as a flat single image layer of the whole document.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 06, 2020 0
Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To fix this particular issue open the "Print Production" tool, select "Preflight" --->>>"PDF Fixups" and select the settings shown in the slide:

Then hit the "Analyze & Fix" button. You should get a report in the end showing "No problems found".

preflightProfiles-error131.png

I was also able to manually fix the file using the "Edit PDF" tool to re-arrange all image layers (or delete the blank image layer in fromt of all others),  and then by using the "Flattener Preview" of the Print Production Tool with these other settings:

flattenerpreview2.png

After this is is done the file will (or should open fine) and you still be able to access the annotations as shown in the slide below:

flattenerpreview.png

Thart is all you need to do to fix this issue in Acrobat.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 06, 2020 0
ls_rbls LATEST
Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a sample of your original file that you've shared with the remediation methods applied to it as described in my thread:

Brazsport Tire-Preflight Fix.pdf 

Let me know if this is the result you were expecting.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 06, 2020 0