Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Expanding a text field without Life Cycle in acrobat

Explorer ,
Jun 01, 2019 Jun 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Is it possible to program Acrobat so that a text field automatically gets bigger if the  text zone expands.

I am not talking about the multiple line option that allow to scroll down a text zone, but more precisely about getting the text zone (square or rectangle) to expand as more text is entered. I saw a video on youtube about getting this done through Life Cycle but I wonder if it can be done in acrobat as I do not have life cycle.  Thanks.

TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It is possible.

However, it is "a little bit messy".

There is the Keystroke Event property fieldFull, which you can check when entering text, and if it is, change the rect property of the field. This works for expanding; there is unfortunately no way to do it for shrinking. You also may have to put subsequent text into fields in order to achieve reflow.

Another approach is to use a shadow field for data entry, analyze the entered text, and set the main (display) field to an according size. This will also need to put subsequent text into fields to achieve reflow.

As said, it is a little bit messy, but feasible.

For further detailled discussion or if your preference is "buy over make", feel free to contact me in private.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines