Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Extract Pages solution

Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat Pro DC (32 bit), Windows 10.
From what I am seeing there is no solution to this, but crossing my fingers that maybe...

I used to be able to open a multi-page file and Extract pages completely with key strokes; go to the last page I want to extract, I think it was Alt+E+E(or X?), tab to First Page box and enter 1, tab then 'D' (delete after extracting?),  enter, then Alt+F+A to save it.
When we 'upgraded' to Acrobat10 (I think) I lost most the keyborad functionality, but with DC it takes me much longer to do this proccess.
I have added the Extract button to my Quick Tools bar.
When I 'open' that, it shows thumbnails of the pages with the page I am currently on highlighted (page 2 for example), and if I 'shift+' either left or right arrow key it does nothing, but if I up or down arrow it seems ot recognize I want to use the arrow keys and I can now arrow right or left to get the range of pages I want, which is almost always the left arrow to get to page 1.
I always want to delete after extracting, but I am not finding a keyboard way for that, so back to the mouse.
Once extracted I can Alt+F+A to save.
The PDF files I am working with are scanned in from our printer and can be up to 500+ pages.
They are engineering drawings and I am saving them as their CAD file name.
I need to see the drawing page to be able to see what its file name is, so once I extract a set of pages, I need to Close the tool, see the file name, reopen the tool and start over.

Can someone suggest a way to do this differntly?
Or maybe a different program to proccess PDF's?

TOPICS
Create PDFs , Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

On my keyboard, I have a button that acts as a right-click substitute.  Using this key, I am able to get to the Extract Pages command without touching my mouse, and proceeded with the tab key to fill out the dialog box.  Does your keyboards have this key?  (It's to the right of the space bar - 3-over on my hardware).

My best,

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

It seems as if you must be in the Pages Panel (page thumbnails), and at least one of them must be selected.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Try using the F6 key.  It should cycle the focus through panels, although it's tough to tell what is in focus, visually!  Shift F6 goes in reverse order too.

My best,

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On my keyboard, I have a button that acts as a right-click substitute.  Using this key, I am able to get to the Extract Pages command without touching my mouse, and proceeded with the tab key to fill out the dialog box.  Does your keyboards have this key?  (It's to the right of the space bar - 3-over on my hardware).

My best,

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do have a button in that location and it brings up a menu, but Extract is not there.
Are you on DC, Windows 10?

Kevin5CA8_1-1619118262890.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Windows 10.  Maybe the cursor has to be over a page thumbnail for it to be there?

extract1.png

Give it a try!

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems as if you must be in the Pages Panel (page thumbnails), and at least one of them must be selected.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ya' know what, that is pretty damn close!
I still have to click on the page in the thumbnail panel, but once I start I can arrow up or down to get to where I want, including 'shift+arrow' and then tab to 'Delete Pages after Extracting' and not need to even touch the page number boxes!
OMG, what a time saver!!! Thanks so much for that!!!

PS; any way to go back and forth from the page pane to the thumbnails panel from the keyboard?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try using the F6 key.  It should cycle the focus through panels, although it's tough to tell what is in focus, visually!  Shift F6 goes in reverse order too.

My best,

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you really need to look at where it is!
Looks like you start in Document pane, F6 to Task pane, F6 to Home button on ribbon(message bar?), F6 to Quick Tools bar, F6 to Navigation pane and F6 back to Document pane.
Once in a pane looks like you can arrow or tab around.
So for me shift+F6 gets me directly to Navigation pane.
In my setting it is highlighted on the Page Thumbnails button so I hit Enter to open the pane.
Tab to the first page and I am off and running!

Thanks again!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad it's working for you!  Like any process... do it for a bit, and it should become second nature.

Cheers,

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's possible to add menu items using a script, and even assign to them keyboard accelerators (Windows only, though), if those accelerators are not already used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2021 Dec 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The best way I found to extract pages from a long document was to 'print' them to a new pdf document using the "Microsoft Print to PDF" option from the print menu. This is quick & easy, but doesn't seem to maintain the quality of the original pdf. Ridiculous that Adobe don't seem to provide this funtion in their expensive Acrobat app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines