May 02, 2021 May 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

i am using

var fileNameOne = trk + "-" + Ono + "-" prk + ".pdf";

var fileNameTwo = drs + "-" + Ono + "-" prk + ".pdf";

var fileNameThree = rrs + "-" + Ono + "-" prk + ".pdf";

if(4==app.alert("Following Documents will get created: \n\n" + fileNameOne + "\n" + fileNameTwo + "\n" + fileNameThree + "\n\nContinue?",2,2)) {
    doReadonly();
    this.extractPages(0,1,fileNameOne);
    this.extractPages(2,4,fileNameTwo);
    this.extractPages(8,11,fileNameThree);

app.alert("The Documents was saved",3,0,"Success");
    undoReadonly();
}
else {
    app.alert("Documents not able to save!",0,0,"Error");
}

Additional i added the folder and the file itself at  Settings > Security (advanced) to the trusted sources.

I works very well with my acrobat Pro DC, but when running it with the Acrobat Free version i get the Error

RangeError: Invalid argument value.
Doc.extractPages:42:Field save:Mouse Up

Is there a functionality in this code which requires a feature of the pro version?

Thank you very much in advance.

TOPICS
Create PDFs , Edit and convert PDFs , JavaScript , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

What does you mean with "Acrobat Free" ?

Acrobat Reader can't extract pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The extractPages function executes in a privileged context, specifically when doing batch actions.

I am not very savvy with Acrobat JavaScript yet as to explain how to elevate the privilege context of this action through a function that can be implemented in a document that will be used with Adobe Reader.

Maybe, you'll need to save the script as a function in that document, and work around on how to call that function properly with the mouse-up event action.

In addition , it may be necessary to  also save that PDF with Reader enabled rights... but I may be wrong if this necessary or not.

In any case, see this article posted by ACP Thom Parker:

https://acrobatusers.com/tutorials/extracting-pages-pdf-acrobat-javascript/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The error message means that you extract pages which doesn't exists. How many pages has the document?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for clarifying Bernd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Bernd,

the Document has 16 pages.

The curious thing is, that i tried the exact same document with the function and it works on Pro but not on Free.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does you mean with "Acrobat Free" ?

Acrobat Reader can't extract pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok, i feared that. I created the PDF with Acrobat DC but wanted to offer the File also to users with just Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And, for sure, the free Reader cannot extract pages in the UI, it doesn't have this function to automate. You don't have to guess, this info is shown for every method in the API reference, in the Quick Bar. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im not trying to use the UI, so do i understand right, that to use this function in Javascript the function the user needs pro?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you look in the documentation as I suggested? Yes, the user needs Pro or Standard for this function, and many others. These features are marketing tools for Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines