Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fatal Error Acrobat failed to send a DDE command

Mar 24, 2011 Mar 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all.  I have a fillable form I developed using word 2010.  I am trying to convert it to a PDF form.  I open acrobat and select star from wizard from the Forms menu.  I browse to find the word document and open it.  I save the PDF document and everything looks good.  I get a progress bar that says "Please wait, reading Adobe PDF".  This is very slow progress and then I get the Fatal Error message "Acrobat Failed to send a DDE command".  I click ok and the progress bar continues still very slowly.  I get the same message again.  I click ok and the progress bar continues.  The progress bar gets to the end and just stays there.  Nothing happens.  I waited for an hour and then cancelled it. When clicked cancel, the PDF document opens with my form but without any fillable fields or drop down menus.  I tried to do it again a few times and I get the same error message.   I am using Adobe Acrobat 9 pro version 9.4.2.  Thank you in advance for your help.

Gonzalo

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try converting the Word file to pdf first. Then use the wizard on the pdf file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response.  I am doing that now.  The problem is that I have to re-do all

the fields and drop down menus.  I was hoping that these would transfer into the PDF form automatically from word.

Thank you,

Gonzalo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 26, 2011 Dec 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

AA 9 will not work for anything but the print function from WORD 2010. The only version of Acrobat that is compatible with OFFICE 2010 for PDF Maker is AA X. Thus, open WORD and print to the Adobe PDF printer. Then open the pdf in Acrobat. Go to FORMS>Add or Edit fields. Since you have no fields at present, Acrobat will ask if you would like to detect form fields. Answer yes and you will get a first cut at the form fields. Yes, you will likely have to add some more and change the ones that Acrobat estimates, but you are on your way.

The other two options you have is to go back to WORD 2007 or earlier or upgrade to AA X (or find someone with AA X and WORD 2010). These methods are pretty much your options with the software combination that you have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 26, 2011 Dec 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try launching acrobat in safe mode; press and holddown shift and double click the acrobat icon and then open a pdf file ; if it opens without crashing after about 15 seconds, then you have a faulty plug in, locate and remove it from your plug-ins folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines