I couldn't find a post related to this issue so here we go. Running Windows 10 Pro with all latest updates, running Acrobat DC version 2021.001.20145. Until the update that occurred in February, my configuration was running flawlessly. I run PDFs from Word and Excel daily. Once the update installed, printing to PDF seems to cause Word and Excel both to crash. I use the term "crash" loosely. The process starts with the software trying to "connect to printer" which takes a while, then it goes into "not responding" limbo, then if it makes it this far I get the dialog to specify the file name and location, then it can take minutes to actually create and open the resulting PDF. Note that this is coming from a situation where the process was virtually instantaneous. I've been searching off and on for solutions. I changed the setting about relying on system fonts. I'm getting nowhere so I'm posting here. Any ideas?
What happens if you use the Acrobat ribbon instead? Printing to PDF is not recommended for a number of reasons.
I didn't even know this is an option. I will try and report back as to the outcome.
By the way, thank you for taking time to offer a suggestion!
Hope you are doing well and sorry for the trouble.
++ Adding to the discussion
- Is this a behavior with a particular Word or Excel file or with all the files? Please try with a different set of files and check.
If the files are stored on a shared network/drive, please download them to your computer locally and then try to create the PDF and check.
As you have the latest version of the Adobe Acrobat DC , please try to reboot the computer once and see if that works.
If it still doesn't work, please try to turn off the protected mode for testing (Win Only) Go to Edit > Preferences > Enhanced Security > Uncheck 'Enable Protected mode at startup' Turn off the protected mode and uncheck 'Enhanced Security' > Click OK and reboot the computer once.
Note: Please turn on the Security after testing to avoid any security risks.
If it still doesn't work, please try to reset the Acrobat Preferences to defaultas described in the help page:
If it still doesn't work please create a new test user profile with full admin rights in Windows and try using the application there and check.
For more information about creating PDF from MS office please check out the help page https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/how-to/create-pdf-files-word-excel-website.html
Wow these are all good suggestions. I can tell you that I have already attempted all of the "garden variety" fixes - rebooting, trying local vs network documents, even uninstalling and reinstalling Acrobat. None of these produced any changes. I will go through your list of suggestions one by one and report back on the outcome. Thank you for taking time to respond!