• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Field Calculation Order issue

New Here ,
Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got a document that we use for raising purchase orders, which adds up multiple form fields, adds GST and calculates totals, subtotals and the grand total of each field.

I was initially having issues with it working, but then realised I had to set all the calculation fields in the correct order. Which worked perfectly, at first.

My issue is, that after a month or two of use, this form breaks and stops adding up correctly, and the field calculation order is all over the place.

Problem fixed when I re-order them, which is easy enough. But i'm wondering if anyone might know why this is happening and if I can prevent it?

I am using Acrobat X Pro, and this form is read and filled in using either the same or Acrobat DC.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How does you change the calculation order?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I go in here and fix the field calculation order.

Field calculation.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an example of the field calculations when they are in the correct order (I dont have an example from when its broken right now, i've just fixed it again today. But they just go totally out of order.)

This sequence repeats all the way up to 10 and then calculates the grand totals.

field calculation 2.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the correct way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, and this works well, usually.  But my problem is, that this document will get used for a few months then the calculations no longer add up properly. Then when I check the order, it is all over the place. Do you know of any reason why this might be happening

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May be someone with Adobe Acrobat changes the form.

Save a backup of the form and use a copy of the backup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was my first thought too, but the original is kept on our quality management system and it is unable to be saved over/overwritten. So even if someone did mess with it, they couldn't save the changes.

When the form is used, they will take a copy of the original and fill it out etc.. But the original is the one that the calculations are breaking on. 

I am at my wits end with figuring out what is causing it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the modification date of the original.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Done that too. March 5th, last time I fixed it. I am the desktop publisher in my company, so the only one accessing this document. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This type of thing does not change on its own. Either someone changed it (maybe even unknowingly by opening the file in a non-compliant PDF viewer of some kind), or there's a script in the file that's changing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's why it is so weird, it is possible I suppose, but unlikely as managers (who are sending/using the document) are using company assigned phones, laptops etc.. With acrobat installed/default for pdfs.

There are short scripts written into the gst fields just to calculate 10% from the figure in another field. Is that something that could be causing it? There are no embedded JavaScript on the file either.

My only other thought is that this could possibly have to do with acrobat updating? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm suspecting the phones, as they tend to have all kinds of non-standard applications and also to save the files automatically. Is this file shared on a central location where you all access it from? If so, I would recommend setting it (and the folder where it's located) as read-only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is shared on the company network, which is run through paradigm 3 and that's the only way to update/change a document in the folder. So you cannot save over a document in there or manually move a document to the folder, but you can take a copy to use, which is then filled out, saved elsewhere and sent off. (I hope that made sense!) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share the form?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can attach a copy when I am back at work next week, don't have a copy with me at home. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Attached is the form, which is working as intended at the moment.

I also checked if acrobat was at the latest version, and it was not, I have now updated it also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat X is the worst version of Acrobat, from memory there was a bug in the order of calculation but it has been fixed, make sure to use the latest version available: 10.1.16

(Help menu : Check for updates)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It certainly is, it is the only version I have access to at the moment though unfortunately, I'm hoping to try and get DC company wide, which would be ideal.

I will have a look at the version when I am back in the office, I had thought it may be an updating issue? Either that it isn't updating, or somehow the updates are messing with the calculation order?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE 03-06-2021

The form has been working again for a month, and now field calculations all out of order again, with seemingly no reason.
the GST is now calculating wrong, even with the same data inputted. I'll attach a screenshot of what I mean.

Capture.JPG
I have attached the copy that is having the issue, if anyone is interested in having a look to see what might be going wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why does you use many fields at the same place?
e.g. Total CostRow1 and 2Total CostRow1
        Subtotal1 and 2Subtotal1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depending on the item, the price may be entered as either including or excluding GST. But I need both figures to be present regardless. This was the only way I could figure out how to have both figures calculate without seperating the form up.
I do feel like it may be a round-about way of doing it. I am sure there is a more simple way of getting the same result without the large number of fields, but I am not sure how. (still VERY new to scripts!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 03, 2021 Jun 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a very roundabout way of doing it. A much better option is to use a single field with a custom calculation script to determine which value to show. It will make it much easier to spot errors, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2021 Jun 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought as much. I'm still very new to using scripts in general. Only managed to figure this one out from looking through forums like this one until I got the result I needed, ha!

Do you know of anywhere that I can look up how to use a single field with a custon calculation script at all? Would be great to learn more about this! Especially if its helpful with spotting errors, I seem to be having quite a few issues with that.. ha!

Thanks 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 04, 2021 Jun 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines