• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

File preview thumbnails aren't working for Acrobat DC files in Windows Explorer

Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2015 Apr 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just upgraded from Acrobat XI to Acrobat DC on Windows 7, and now any new PDFs I create display with a generic PDF icon rather than a thumbnail preview of the file.  Files created in Acrobat XI are displaying correctly (see screenshot).  Is anyone else experiencing this and is there a resolution?PDF-Icon-Screenshot.jpg

TOPICS
Install update and subscribe to Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 11, 2016 May 11, 2016

Hi djbilly

This was fixed in our update released yesterday. Make sure you are on the latest update by visiting Help > Check for updates.

Next, to enable thumbnail previews go to Preferences > General and then select Enable PDF thumbnail previews in Windows Explorer.

Thanks,

-ashu

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 312 Replies 312
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2015 Jul 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uninstalling Acrobat DC and reinstalling Acrobat Pro XI does not help bring back thumbnails. Don't waste your time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 09, 2015 Jul 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Yes it does, you need two handful plug ins.

1. Adobe Reader preview handler x64 fixer / Fixes for 64-bit Adobe Reader preview handler and thumbnails

2. Sagethumbs / SageThumbs download | SourceForge.net

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2015 Jul 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about the Mac version? I am not aware of any posts for the Apple environment. If anyone has had success fixing the thumbnail glitch with Acrobat Pro or Acrobat DC for Macs please pass your information along.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 11, 2015 Jul 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sagethumbs did the job. (for me)

It is a shame, have to install a open source 0$ program to view thumbnails for a program that cost 500$ per year.

Adobe ! Why you didn't provide Thumbnails for PSD/PDF ?

Are you want to force us using Bridge ? Well Bridge is fine, but it's not usable for daily work on it ...

Anyway ...

SageThumbs works fine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 05, 2015 Aug 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when can we have thumbnails back again please ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 14, 2015 Apr 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What kind of an anwser is that: You can just enjoy the this amazing new look of your PDF icons....

I dont want to know how many people feel ridiculed.

Having a pdf preview saves SO MUCH TIME!!! What gave Adobe the idea that thumbnails are a bad thing. If that was so, why have thumbnails at all.

Is there going to be a fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2015 Apr 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"What kind of answer is that?"

It's a patronising, "We don't care what you want, we're doing it OUR way" answer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 02, 2015 Jun 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish there was a dislike button so I can dislike Anubha's ridiculous post - "It is not a problem and you can just enjoy this amazing new look of your PDF icons."

The software developers at Adobe evidently have no clue over how many people use Acrobat. They clearly don't care either - first they force everyone to subscribe, then they break a third-party fix (the pretentiousname.com fix) to a problem that many people face. Then they insult their customers by saying "it is not a problem".

Listen to your customers, Adobe. The worse you treat your customers, the quicker they'll jump the moment they find an alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 10, 2015 Apr 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have the same problem and discussed that already here:

Re: Missing Thumbnail previews in Windows Explorer

i'm the opinion nowadays this is a "no go" to have no thumbnail previews especially when you are working as a professional like

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 06, 2015 Aug 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"...i'm the opinion nowadays this is a "no go" to have no thumbnail previews especially when you are working as a professional like

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 14, 2015 Apr 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a massive drawback, and it is frankly unbelievable that a company such as Adobe allow themselves to do such things.

A warning before upgrade would have been more than welcome.

Who's going to pay for user time wasted on such an issue?

Abhigyan Modi - Thanks for your insight but when can we expect a fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 03, 2015 Sep 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's really not that unbelievable to me anymore. "New and Improved" just means "We suck and you can't do anything about it!". It's much like the "convenience fee" when you pay a bill online. While they no longer pay anyone to process the payment, you have to pay them for the privilege of...,not paying anyone to process the payment!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2015 Apr 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found a work around in Windows 7, install Foxit Reader and associate PDFs with it on the install, it will bring back the thumbnails. Then after the Foxit install right click a PDF and choose Acrobat DC as your default program, the Thumbnails will stay and open in Acrobat. Sucks we have to install anther program to get this feature.

Adobe you really need to fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thimothy, this works for me, too!

though the thumbnails are only in square design... former acrobat versions showed them in the right rectangulars...

but now i can see what the files bare...

but i agree: THIS IS THE WORK FOR ADOBE TO FIX THIS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Timothy ... I did exactly what you said and my thumbnails are back, works perfect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Timothy!  Do the file thumbnails continue to generate in the future, even after you have switched back to Acrobat DC as your default program?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 17, 2015 Apr 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, they do, julie!

just proved it a minute ago!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2015 Apr 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Timothy,

i just installed it on WIN 7 and the icons just changed to Foxit Icons. No thumbnails though. Which version did you use?

Thanks and kind regards,

Atahualpa Seyffert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 20, 2015 Apr 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ Atahualpa

i installed the actual version 7.1.3.320...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2015 Apr 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How come the Adobe Staff isn't responding to this thread??????????????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2015 Apr 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They did,  and it seems that they really do not care.

Adobe Employee

Chris, Julie : We had to remove the thumbnail preview functionality from Acrobat and Reader DC for technical reasons. We know there are users who value it but certain design considerations forced us to make this change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2015 Apr 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works for Windows 8 too!  Thanks so much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2015 Apr 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Timothy, it worked for windows 8! Not pleased that Adobe took such a needed feature away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 19, 2015 Apr 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately not for me.

Please, please, fix it, Adobe!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2015 May 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for posting this!  I have been searching the internet for a fix to this problem.  This worked like a charm.  Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines