• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

File preview thumbnails aren't working for Acrobat DC files in Windows Explorer

Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2015 Apr 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just upgraded from Acrobat XI to Acrobat DC on Windows 7, and now any new PDFs I create display with a generic PDF icon rather than a thumbnail preview of the file.  Files created in Acrobat XI are displaying correctly (see screenshot).  Is anyone else experiencing this and is there a resolution?PDF-Icon-Screenshot.jpg

TOPICS
Install update and subscribe to Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 11, 2016 May 11, 2016

Hi djbilly

This was fixed in our update released yesterday. Make sure you are on the latest update by visiting Help > Check for updates.

Next, to enable thumbnail previews go to Preferences > General and then select Enable PDF thumbnail previews in Windows Explorer.

Thanks,

-ashu

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 312 Replies 312
Explorer ,
May 10, 2016 May 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is insane it took Adobe so long for recognizing and fixing the issue.

Some ppl should get fired over this type of poor / bad decisions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 11, 2016 May 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, this is still what I get!

Yeah....png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 11, 2016 May 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi djbilly

This was fixed in our update released yesterday. Make sure you are on the latest update by visiting Help > Check for updates.

Next, to enable thumbnail previews go to Preferences > General and then select Enable PDF thumbnail previews in Windows Explorer.

Thanks,

-ashu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 12, 2016 May 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure it was. That's why we're still on here today trying to find a fix that actually works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2016 May 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It still doesn't work. I enabled it in my latest update and the files still show a plain white rectangle with a small triangular fold at the top. It's very frustrating to be told there's a fix and then find that the fix needs fixing!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you check that box, it actually shows an install progress box as if it's something that needs to be installed. If you didn't see that, you may try a Repair.

I would also check Windows Disk Cleanup and checkmark the Thumbnail cache to clear it.

The Ardfry PSD Codec might be a good workaround. Trial it and see.

View Photoshop PSD PSB PDD PDF AI EPS INDD files in Windows - x64 PSD CODEC for Windows 10, Windows ...

In each case restart Windows.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't bother installing Adobe and other software which you don't need. Just install Foxit Reader and forget about it. I and the other forum members can vouch for it.

Moderator's warning:

You are promoting another product in an Adobe forum where you are a guest, to the point of spamming.

If this doesn't stop, your forum privileges will be terminated. This will be your only warning.

https://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-7044#jive_content_id_Etiquette_Guidelines

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear @Moderator, I am not promoting any other product. I was just being helpful to your customers, who are unhappy with the problems in your software product. For that's the reason, this thread has spread 7 pages long. If you think, that's a problem, please terminate my privileges.

-Vipin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2016 May 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am so confused - i bought Acrobat Pro 11 - i have the latest update  11.0.16 and I cannot find any option to display a document page. I still get the Adobe logo which I have come to hate. In all fairness, I was never an Adobe fan to begin with. Very obnoxious company.

It is beyond my imagination why any management team would allow one of their key products to fail so miserably. Customers have to look at their logo because they are incapable of fixing it? Excuse me - fire the current people and hire people who do know how to fix it - and make it work.

Sadly Adobe has to big of a market share to even take notice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 14, 2016 May 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Can you please tell which OS version (Win7/8/10) you are using? Is it 32-bit or 64-bit?

Thanks

Tanvi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@TanviRastogi: You have any solution to my problem? I am using Win-10, 64 bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Vipin

Did your Acrobat update installation succeed?

Thanks

Tanvi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope. Same error with the error code 28000.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Vipin

Unfortunately I have limited expertise in the given area. I have forwarded your issue to the concerned team. Somebody from the team will get back to you in some time.

Thanks

Tanvi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happened to TanviRastogi response about Acrobat not having thumbnails in 64 bit, but having them in 32 bit? I got the email of the comment, but it mysteriously disappeared. Hmmm.....

He was lying anyway. I got two 32 bit systems that need FoxIT for thumbnails!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello TanviRastogi​, any updates on my problem? I am still getting the error and no one has replied to the thread either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 15, 2016 May 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is just as not true today as it was when someone, of your people, reported it on the 9th. I did a complete scrubbing of all Adobe Acrobat DC fragments. I cleaned the registry, the Program Files, the TEMP files, clean the disc, then reinstalled the updated Adobe Acrobat DC, from the Adobe site. I checked the version numbers and that was a farce. One was 15.xx.xx, something, and the other was 20.XX.XX, or something else. Regardless of the version, regardless of whether it was 32 bit, or 64 bit, the results were EXACTLY the same..., NO PREVIEW THUMBNAILS! Only that hideous looking "A" on a black background. So, what did I miss? Why did none of your "suggestions" helped, or worked? Why are we, the same people that have been screaming this issue for two years, still shouting the same thing? The software was defeated just like someone said on pages 2, and 3. No update has worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2016 Jun 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wasn't fixed for me. Was this fixed for anyone else?

-Ron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 07, 2016 Jun 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ron

Are you using Acrobat or Reader DC?

Have you downloaded it from Adobe site?

How have you installed Acrobat/Reader?

Thanks

Tanvi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2016 Jun 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tanvi,

I use Acrobat Pro 9.5 at work which I purchased (think I d/l from Amazon long ago).

I also used Reader DC at work but trashed that thinking I would be getting my thumbnails

back, but I didn't.

I also use Reader at home on my laptop and also do not get thumbnails.

Not sure where I d/l it, I think the Adobe site.

Am I the only one in the world who no longer has thumbnail previews of their pdf's?

Thanks, Ron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 09, 2016 Jun 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ron

Sorry for the issues you are facing.

You would need Reader DC for viewing PDF thumbnail previews.

You will have to make it your default PDF handler and then enable the preference to view thumbnail previews.

If this doesn't work, can you please check if the following registry is present in your system:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\DC\AdobeViewer]
"EULA"=dword:00000001

You can check this by going to Start > Run > Regedit and search for the above registry.

If not present, please create this registry and let us know if this works for you.

Thanks

Tanvi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2016 Jun 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This key was not there Tanvi. It appears to work . Sometimes saving a pdf

shows entire black icon, but refresh brings the thumbnail. But does seem to

work most of the time.

~Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update. All the pdf icons are turning black now. No image at all!

The EULA fix is not ALL of the fix.

~Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem dates way before DC with Adobe Acrobat, people have complained about the lack of thumbnails for years now. You could install the free Foxit Reader 7.3 and let it be the default pdf app. This will correctly generate all your thumbnails. Then you right-click on a pdf and use the Open With ... Reader to continue to open pdfs with Acrobat/Reader. It's astounding Adobe, the inventor of pdf, with what they charge for Acrobat, can't fix this once and for all, while free Foxit gets it exactly right (and in my experience it draws the thumbnails very fast).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 14, 2016 Oct 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the latest release of Acrobat on 11th October 2016, this issue has been addressed.

To get the latest product update, within the product, click on the menu Help-> Check for updates.

For more information about the release, please refer to the Release Notes and the New Feature Summary web links.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines