• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

File preview thumbnails aren't working for Acrobat DC files in Windows Explorer

Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2015 Apr 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just upgraded from Acrobat XI to Acrobat DC on Windows 7, and now any new PDFs I create display with a generic PDF icon rather than a thumbnail preview of the file.  Files created in Acrobat XI are displaying correctly (see screenshot).  Is anyone else experiencing this and is there a resolution?PDF-Icon-Screenshot.jpg

TOPICS
Install update and subscribe to Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 11, 2016 May 11, 2016

Hi djbilly

This was fixed in our update released yesterday. Make sure you are on the latest update by visiting Help > Check for updates.

Next, to enable thumbnail previews go to Preferences > General and then select Enable PDF thumbnail previews in Windows Explorer.

Thanks,

-ashu

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 312 Replies 312
Aug 06, 2015 Aug 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AbhigyanModi    Adobe Employee

"Chris, Julie : We had to remove the thumbnail preview functionality from Acrobat and Reader DC for technical reasons. We know there are users who value it but certain design considerations forced us to make this change."

Would you care to elaborate on this AbhigyanModi, what design considerations exactly? I fail to see how adding a checkbox in preferences allowing the option for thumbnails could be bad thing, all your other flagship products allow thumbnails

Furthermore have all those just discovering this now been asleep? It has been this way since at least the last release possibly the one before as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 02, 2015 Sep 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally unacceptable. Fix it. Today!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 02, 2015 Dec 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Adobe staff members,

I specially signed up for this forum just so i can reply on this thread.

I know that my oppinion or what i do is not very important to Adobe but i signed up just to inform you that from now untill further notice i am uninstalling Adobe Acrobat Reader DC and any and all other Adobe products and switching to different pdf viewer because of this monstrous decision to remove thumbnail preview from Adobe Reader DC. As someone already commented, i think that whoever was in charge of this decision doesn't have the slightest clue of how your clients use your products. As a person who has over 100.000 pdf files on my computer and very often as much as few hundred up to few thousand in one folder, Adobe Reader DC completely lost any and all funcionality for me. I can no longer find the files i need and worst of all is that you don't leave me an easy way just to uninstall and roll back to previous version of your reader. I don't want to install any of your creative clouds, i just want to be able to find easy - one click solution to reinstall Acrobat Reader XI but all you offer is this shamefull atrocity of Acrobat Reader DC. Also, as someone already said, the comment about "just enjoying the amazing new look of the pdf icons" is something i consider an direct verbal insult to my intelligence. What i need from your software is it's functionality and you can apply "amazing new looks" next time you visit a beauty parlor or bake a birthday cake.

Since you didn't leave that option open i am informing you that as a customer i am leaving all your products and switching to other solutions untill further notice.

Kind regards with hope that in the future you will have more understanding for your customers' needs.

Darko Bodulic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are completely right. I already moved to foxit reader, thumbnails there functions perfectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is -- I don't think Adobe is monitoring this important thread anymore.  And, frankly, I don't think they care about this important productivity issue.   I uploaded Foxit.   They seem to have a handle on this and it has some other functionality.  For instance, I like that they call Mail (to send the PDF) "Share" .  Very 2016 Soc Media --   There are some shortcomings like having to take an extra step to get to My Files. This thread was helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I quote you 100%!It's PATHETIC that thumbnails were taken away on the latest version.

Seems Adobe don't care, but they should! And should listen to us customers/users... without us, they're nothing!

In the meantime, if you want to go back to using the previous version (that has thumbnails), here is the link for that:

Adobe - Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Distribution

There you will find version 11.

Cheers, and hoping Adobe will listen to us and UPDATE DC and INCLUDE thumbnail preview.

Tonio

Screen Shot 12-02-15 at 11.20 PM.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2015 Dec 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have only just done the update to see this thumbnail issue, I started with the oldest thread though so have now spent over an hour downloading Foxit to change the thumbnail from the Adobe Reader Icon to the Foxit one, so that didn't work, then saw Adobe have made it possible to turn thumbnails on again but only in the 32 bit version, 64 bit version should be out soon I hope, I've now downloaded the older XI reader version of reader as suggested above, but that is now saying it won't install as I have 'a more functional product installed'

Dysfunctional more like, what a waste of hours I didn't have to waste!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uninstalled latest Reader and installed older version, thumbnails representing what is in the pdf files are now back. Mah nah mah nah...............

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You most likely haven't fully removed all of your previous version.

Try using the official remover:

Download Adobe Reader and Acrobat Cleaner Tool - Adobe Labs

Then restart your pc and try downloading version XI again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2016 Feb 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do understand that that's a totally uninformative answer, don't you? "Removed... for technical reasons?" "Design considerations?" This is the kind of vagueness that politicians like to use! Why should we have to revert to a previous version in order to get the functionality that we need? This seems a page taken from Microsoft's playbook, upon the release of Windows 8.1. "You can just go back to Windows 7." The answer given is really of zero use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2016 Feb 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know, personal pleas make for good reading on the blog, but the eyes of the "powers that be", never see them. They did establish this forum so that they wouldn't have anything to do, and they do "nothing" with the best of them!

I feel your pain. WE feel your pain. Adobe? Couldn't give a rats patootie what we feel!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2016 Feb 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems like a whole bunch of techies made changes to a program they dont use because someone decided that "hey this would be cool" not thinking about the impact the changes would make in fundamental usability. This last upgrade has been horrible anyway. All of the cloud programs are waaaaaaaaaay slllllloooooowwwwweeeeer this time. But its like monopoly. There is nothing else out there so we are at Adobes mercy and obviously they dont give a crap what the real users are saying. Pay me your monthly fee and shut the hell up

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2016 Feb 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We understand people make mistakes and deadlines force compromise. What we don't understand is the deadpan "too bad" response.  Where I come from we say that is a sh*t house response!

Adobe Bridge enables thumbnail previews.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2016 Mar 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has practically FORCED DC on it's users and this preview problem is not the only DOWNGRADE from the desktop version of Adobe Acrobat. I have to say that after wasting untold hours trying to make DC be efficient for my work, that i am now exploring other pdf options such as Bluebeam since Adobe simply does not seem to care that DC is flawed and should never have been foisted on its customers before the issues were fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2016 Jul 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MAN I REALLY NEED THIS FEATURE.

I GUESS I WILL HAVE TO CANCEL MY DC SUBCSRIPTION AND PURCHASE FOXIT READER.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 13, 2016 Jul 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

With the July update of Acrobat DC released yesterday, we have made a fix to this issue. We would request you to update Acrobat to the latest version and let us know if it resolves the issue for you. To update your Acrobat to the latest version goto Help -> Check for Updates from within Acrobat DC

Thanks & Regards

Sachin Soni

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2016 Jul 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you thank you thank you,

The update fixed it.

All my icons now show thumbnails.

Regards, A Happy customer.

Sky Bryan

Production Manager

Silvertip Signs

105 - 2905 Kenney Street

Terrace, BC Canada V8G 3E8

Ph: 250-635-1723 Fax: 250-635-1813

”Over 30 Years of Experience”

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this still happening?, I just upgrade my Acrobat, and its terrible, I am graphice designer working in books and pdf is always my tool, its aboslutelly horrible and hard trying to find a file without the thumbnail. Is there any solution for this problem now, is outrageous for the user experience. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2015 Jun 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exact same sentiments... feels like I need to save everything in an image format now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2015 Apr 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updating to Acrobat DC has killed thumbnail previews for EVERY PDF, not just the ones newly-created.

This is, in turn, destroying my workflow and frustrating me greatly.

Is there any way to uninstall the Document Cloud and go back to Acrobat Pro until this is fixed? Because DC is not providing me with enough value to justify the headaches.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 13, 2015 Apr 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jzawada

If you really wish to uninstall Acrobat DC and go back to Acrobat Pro XI, then you might need to refer the KB doc link mentioned here:

Acrobat DC uninstalled Acrobat XI | How to get Acrobat XI back

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Anubha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2015 Apr 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still not working.

I have uninstalled Acrobat Pro DC, but when I go to the linked download page, select Acrobat XI Pro, and click the button which says "Download Acrobat XI Pro," it begins to download Acrobat Pro DC.

Does a link need to be updated or something...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 14, 2015 Apr 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anuba Goel,

Thanks for that. Unfortunately, for me at least, the download doesn't start - it launches the Creative Cloud Application but nothing appears in the Apps bar.

I've tried restarting CC, restarting my PC, trying a different browser, running as administrator, etc.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2015 Apr 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jzawada wrote:

This is still not working.

I have uninstalled Acrobat Pro DC, but when I go to the linked download page, select Acrobat XI Pro, and click the button which says "Download Acrobat XI Pro," it begins to download Acrobat Pro DC.

Does a link need to be updated or something...?

Previous versions of Acrobat can be found on Adobe's FTP website. Acrobat XI Pro for Windows is at ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/acrobat/win/11.x/11.0.10/ (latest version)

Acrobat Reader XI for Windows is at ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/11.x/11.0.10/

Choose your language from the appropriate subdirectory.

Other platforms are available higher up in the directory structure.

If running Windows, it helps to reboot your computer after removing Acrobat DC to remove any remaining files.

After reinstalling Adobe XI or Adobe Reader XI, you can restore your PDF thumbnails by going to File->Open and viewing the selected directory contents. Thumbnails will be recreated as you view them in the list. You don't actually have to open any file. To view the thumbnails in Explorer or on the Desktop, you may have to refresh the display (F5 or Ctrl-F5 or right-click, Refresh).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2015 Jun 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rbailin,

Thank you for letting us know where to find Adobe Reader 11. Thank you so, so much! I had been searching for Adobe Reader 11, but was having a hard time.

I uninstalled Adobe DC, rebooted; installed Adobe Reader 11; rebooted - My previewer is back to normal now. Everyone who would like to try this route, please remember to reboot each time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines